Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

What nVidia drivers can I upgrade to safely?

Running FS2004 on eVGA 7900 GTO (512 MB) on old fashioned DELL XPS Gen 4 under Windows XP Home Edition. Currently using 91.47 drivers, stable and very good but got a problem with FSAA so I want to try a higher version of driver. What drivers can I safely upgrade to without running into the next gen of FSAA problems?!Appreciate advice, thanks!JS

I would go to the Nvidia page and look at the offerings.

Is it safe for me to use the nvidia 1**.XX versions? I always thought they were for series 8000 cards and above. I have read about significant antialiasing problems with various 160 and 170 drivers and as I need to experiment with an antialiasing fix, am rather wary of using them. I seek guidance and advice on this.JS

I'm using the 174.74 version drivers and I have a nvidia 7600GS 512mb video card and all is well here.Paul.

The 7900 will work with the latest nVidia drivers, but you will likely run into far greater AA problems to resolve. I think this started happening around the late 16x.x series and has plagued us ever since. It is fixable with nHancer, but the method to do so varies between nVidia driver and nHancer versions and involves a bit of fiddling around. Personally, I'd try and fix what AA problem you have with the current driver rather than start playing the nVidia/nHancer shuffle.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks, Gary, appreciate your frank advice. I have an exceedingly bizarre FSAA-induced effect solely with the PMDG 747-400: I get giant windows with external scenery as I bring up 2D panels such as the FMC and these overlay parts of my triple LCD screens. It is extremely weird and annoying when it happens. I've posted on the PMDG forum but no meaningful responses. I am for now taking your advice and playing around with my 91.47 drivers.JS

JS, that sounds like the other infamous nVidia AA issue, namely previous screen artifacts appear when hovering over a tooltip. This can be fixed most easily by turning tooltips off in FS, or changing drivers until it goes away (but then you have to be aware of AA trap #2 ;-)).Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Yeah, that's what PMDG has said and no fix from nVidia ever came out. I did try turning off tooltips, but no dice. I reiszed screens but no dice there either. Then I considered a driver upgrade but that led me here and this thread is what is happening now! I turned off FSAA but after using it for years on end, man, the images look DISGUSTING! It's very random this artifacting. Y'just never know if or when it will occur. I can solve it to some extent by just working within the VC as much as poss which is OK as I have a huge field of vision with a 53" diagonal. But I confess it is nauseating to pop up a panel or quadrant or whatever and find bizarre and irrelevant images staring at you.Ne'er mind. Everything else works in FS2004. I've done years of "PC engineering" for flightsim and honestly don't have any stomach left for more of it. This may just be as good as it gets for me.JS

Then I suggest trying a pre-16x.x driver just once and see if that fixes it. If not, just roll back to what you had.Gary

OK, will try that report back.Thanks again,JS

Sorry, but what are OMEGA drivers?JS