Sign in to follow this  
BobP

Constant hard drive access with RXP new GNS..

Hi,The new RXP GNS WAAS uses the Garmin 32 bit trainer. As I understand it, the trainer memory is constantly updated drawing data from the FSX hard drive. This isn't an RXP issue, but the design of the trainer. Jean-Luc is well aware of the issue and may have a trick or two up his sleeve to move the trainer memory to a USB drive, as an example. As soon as the Garmin 430/530 power is switched on, my hardrive access light goes solid. It will remain that way until either I turn off the Garmin unit or exit FSX. How much of a concern should I have for continuous disc access for modern hard drive equipment? I fly several hours a day and have gotten to the point where I cover over the disc access light while using the Garmin's. LOL. Is it a needless concern or should I limit my time using the Garmin's until an alternate method of simulating trainer memory is offered?Thanks in advance.. Bob

Guest UlfB

Bob,All hard discs in use will fail sooner or laiter. That's for sure. Using a modern OS and FSX, will put a frequent and heavy load on your disk(s). I don't think that this constant use during your FSX/RXP sessions will have any noticeable impact on when the disc will crash. It might fail in a couple of hours or 2012. Who knows?I have suffered two crashes and learned my lesson. I've a network 1TB backup disc, where I've got backups of all downloaded add ons. A pristine backup of FSX SP2. A backup of the current FSX installation. Backups of all important data, including emails.Ulf B