Sign in to follow this  

I was looking for opinions on the difference between the Nvidia GeFrce 8800 GT and GTX. Is there a considerable difference an is it worth the extra money for the GTX. Also does SLI make any difference in FSX.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest JIMJAM

I did a week long google search looking for opinions and they are wide and varied. Depends on When the post were made and for what game.IMO the difference is VERY small and only at very high res and tips to the 8800gtx.Some here say the extra memory makes a difference but at what cost.A slider down here or a traffic slider down there and you just save yourself $$$$.I tried both and IMO saw no difference in FSX.Alot of people who payed top $$$ for it are upset that the gt either meets or just behind the gtx.I still had the same issues with occasional menu crashes,AA/AF problems ect.I have a 8800gt bfg oc 512 card and would reccomend it. BB has them and you can try it out as they have a VERY good return policy. They are cheaper online but Its worth it to me since one is close.SLI is complicated and Fsx is finicky enough. The GTX is HUGE and I couldnt imagine all that $$$$ amd power tied up into 2 cards that will be outdated soon.I am playing the waiting game and either hope for a driver,software fix or tough it out until new tech hardware simply beats FSX into submission.

Thank you, I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I am tired of waiting for the magic bullet. I run FSX ok on my current setup but there are some things that I am dong without like AI traffic which is a big part of the experience for me. I would like to have bloom but if i need to cut it out that is the one thing I could sacrifice.

Mike Keigley

Guest JIMJAM

What card are you using now?I have tried them all.

I am using a Nvidia 7800 gtx, I am going to buy a whole new computer but I am just doing some probing about video cards.

Mike Keigley

Guest JIMJAM

A new driver about every month and a new wonder card every 3.I still cannot find stable drivers for my ancient 8800gt.I am sure FSX will just love this new memory and power behemoth.The latest greatest must have card comes out,the drivers suck,nobody supports it. After a few months, work arounds and/or drivers get it running but its still months before games take advantage of it. By then, their next latest greatest wonder card is just around the corner. Repeat........BTW- When are the nuclear powered cards coming out?

The 8800GT is "ancient" lol? It came out less than a year ago and still runs anything I've thrown at it well at 1920X1200.What stability issues are you having? Use the 174.16 drivers in conjunction with nHancer to set AA & AF in FS and you shouldn't have any problems. If you mean stability in terms of crashes or artifacting etc, then I'd look at your power supply, as it's pretty vital that these cards get a consistent clean power rail into them.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest JIMJAM

I run at a native res of 1920x1080 on a 32 inch Sharp Aquos.My freind owns computer store and I have tried 2 other 8800gts,different brands and a few 8800gtxs.I MUST run windowed.....I can run full screen BUT If I change planes,reload scenery,crash, or alt/enter in order to access something else, its 50/50 if I am going to CTD.If I do not load a freeflight with a default, its 50/50 if it will hang up at loading 100%.I have let fsx rebuild its fsx.cfg.Same with my previous 7950gtx.And its not ME.There are ALOT of us, some worse than me.There is also a freind who has a simular setup to me that has ZERO problems.So consider yourself lucky.I do however run all the major add on, FEX,GEX,UTX and ALOT of planes.Any of which could cause this problem.However, there are alot running vanilla fsx/sp2 with the same problems.There is something causing this and there is also ALOT of very SMART people trying to figure it out.My CTD % comes and goes as does my picture quality so its going to be a bit** to track down.Ive tried all popular Nhancer,Nick's setups,Rivatuner,ect and nothing sticks.BTW- I have a high quality 750 PS and even swapped out 2x with no change.Shortly,maybe this week I am going to ditch his prefered brands,AMD and Asus and build me a Intel based machine.

This is an interesting thread. I have a brand new 8800 gtx and I was just going to post for opinions about the best way to cool it as it seems to run awfully hot. And I only fly in FS9!I don't overclock and I'm thinking my scenery breakup and complex texture problems are due to this high heat. I've had 3 good flights with no texture breakup incidents BUT the only way I could achieve those flights was to open the side of my case and have a personal Holmes Blizzard floor fan blowing into the whole rig! :-)

Guest JIMJAM

I have so many fans in mine, I need to strap it down to stop it from taking off.Zalman on top,big ones on each end.Took off the side and have a small floor fan blowing into the case.There is also a ac vent within 6 inches of the back.Blown out with a compressor every now and then.I doubt heat is my issue.But YES, if you use Nhancer or simular and start ocing your card, it usually does more harm than good.I know thats going to rub the techies wrong but especially with FSX, it does not need any more encouragement to screw up.I jacked up my BFG OC just a little and other than the placebo effect,I noticed no real change.Then I ran into clouds of trees at 20 thousand feet!The instrument panel flashed and reapeared as the planes's paint scheme.Lack of o2 I guess....Returned the timing to where they were and no more tree clouds.

>This is an interesting thread. I have a brand new 8800 gtx>and I was just going to post for opinions about the best way>to cool it as it seems to run awfully hot. And I only fly in>FS9!>>I don't overclock and I'm thinking my scenery breakup and>complex texture problems are due to this high heat. I've had>3 good flights with no texture breakup incidents BUT the only>way I could achieve those flights was to open the side of my>case and have a personal Holmes Blizzard floor fan blowing>into the whole rig! :-)I have the same card and I'm not getting any of those problems. My Silverstone TJ09 case does have a 120mm fan blowing right across the vid card...maybe this is helping me.So far, I have not installed RivaTuner to monitor the vid card temp (I think RivaTuner can do that).RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.16 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

Hey go for it!I WAS one of those who stuck his neck "and wallet" out and bought the latest greatest fastest bestest just because.....Now I have a sportscar that needs constant TLC and $$$$ so I let guys like you do it:+ I am now actually going to put off my build until I hear some feedback on this card.