HiI've just noticed there are confusingly two hardware forums, I think my post is better here so apologies for posting twice.It's ages since I built my P3 2.4 so I'm trying to catch up fast and need advice. I'm only looking to improve FS9 and not spend too much so how's this?Antec P180 caseAntec NeoHE 550W Modular PSUAsus Motherboard P5K SE Intel CPU Core 2 Duo E8400 Crucial 2GB Kit (2x1GB) Ballistix Memory DDR2 PC2-5300 Asus Extreme 8800GT 512MB Western Digital 500GB Caviar RE2 SATA II 300 7200rpm 16MB Any suggestions welcome or please point out any incompatabilities.John

I cant see why you would want to. I doubt if FS9 is even pushing that hardware at all it should be running fine. If you went to faster ram and CPu that would run fsx reasonably well.

Guest D17S

You're very close. The only thing you need to bump is the memory to DDR2-800 to allow a CPU overclock. Go with Vista64 is at all possible and run 4G-O-ram. That E8400 will O/C to 3.4 with the stock cooler. That'll get ya within 20% of the top (non-uber) FSX rig.

4 gig ram is a waste as is a change to vista. Xp runs FSX fine and untill M$ reslese next windows ver i think DX10 is just a waste of time. Vista has being doing so bad that M$ are already trying to get next ver of windows out. But you do need to get faster, lower latency ( cas 4 ) ram and faster CPU then that will just abt run FSX quiet well.Going 64 bit is silly since ther are not many 64 bit aps out there and FS9 and FSx are only 32 bit. Get MEMSTATUS from the web it will show you how much memory you are using and you will see why 4Gig is a waste. Theer was a test run on a forum somewhere and there was no gain made by going from 2gig to 4 gig.