Sign in to follow this  
Guest hectoir

9800gtx

With my system, please see the specs below, would I benefit much by upgrading to the 9800GTX? In particular, would performance increase and/or the sharpness of the textures with less 'blurries'?The 9800 GTX is on sale now at Freys amd I am getting the bug!Thanks a lot,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Guest D17S

I just dropped back from a 9800GTX to a 8800GT. I'm still lookin', but so far I can't tell any difference at all.

>I just dropped back from a 9800GTX to a 8800GT. I'm still>lookin', but so far I can't tell any difference at all. I'm somewhat surprised over that. What is your system? Are you talking about FSX?

Guest D17S

FS9 and FSX. Same frames and scenery load dynamic. Those extra 12 SPs didn't make a bit of difference. Before it went, I O/Ced the 9800GTX to ~ 780Mhz and couldn't see any difference there either. The 98 (ran) and the 88 (runs) ~ 700Mhz, so it's just about those extra SPs . . . and they did Nada. It appears that even an extra 128 SPs (aka the GTX280) aren't making any difference either. The 88 is all the Vcard FS needs. We really need a multi-threaded capable engine. Vcard's aren't gonna do it.

Guest djt01

>The 88 is all the Vcard FS needs. We really need a>multi-threaded capable engine. Vcard's aren't gonna do it. I

Last year my curiosity got the better of me, too, and I bought the same EVGA ultra card that I see you have already got. I was pleasantly surprised by the improvement on my 8800GTS.I hope you'll let the rest of us know what difference you notice with your GTX280 when it arrives.Tim

Never mind 9800 to 8800, I barely saw any improvement in FSX going from a 7900 to an 8800. When I see posts saying they get 2x FPS with a new video card, I just laugh and think they must be checking it out in the middle of nowhere looking straight up and not where the boost is really needed - in complex scenarios, heavy weather and lots of AI. In my experience, the latest and greatest video cards make neglible to minimal improvement in these areas.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest djt01

>Never mind 9800 to 8800, I barely saw any improvement in FSX>going from a 7900 to an 8800. LOL,I