Sign in to follow this  
Guest ErezS

Out Of memory.

Guest ErezS

Hey everyone.I have E6750 and 2GB of RAM.8800GTS.and XP SP2.The hard-disk was just formatted and FS2004 install was fresh without any junk that's piles up over the time.Just 4 sceneries and 4 types of aircrafts.The following day after my installation,I did a 4 hours flight into Zurich with FSDREAMTEAM's scenery.on final with PMDG 744 I got the infamous OOM message.before pressing OK I checked the task manager to see how much memory does the simulator consume,and it was just 580MB!I had 900 MB left!page file was set to 2000 to 4000(not exact numbers)so the page file should not be the problem.Then I remembered that I read somewhere about the 3GB switch and It's working even If you don't have 3GB of RAM.So i installed it and this it the boot.ini:[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional-3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOutI also changed the parameter in the FS9.exe using that program(sorry can't remember the name)to accept the switch.Today I did a flight from Frankfurt to Madrid using both Aerosoft sceneries with WILCO A330.FPS was fine throughout the flight up until the final approach where the airport I suppose appeared then again,the OOM message.BTW I'm flying Online using FSINN in VATSIM so there is not tons of AI in the airport.Maybe 2 aircraft the whole airport,nothing busy.Again checked the memory,same result,about 800 MB left to use.no reason to that OOM.Any idea on how to solve this irritating problem?Thank you.

I was hoping someone who knows what they are talking about would step up and help you...instead, I'll give it a shot. The oom error has nothing to do with page file or vitual memory. But I forget what it does have to do with. Can't say I've heard of this problem with FS9. Seems to be more of an FSX thing because FSX is so hard on the entire system. I would do a searh of this forum and microsoft to find other causes of the OOM error. Maybe an expert will come along soon.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest D17S

Not an expert, but this comes up a lot. Here's the solution: Use a 64 bit operating system. Vista 64 will work fine. We are now into a painful transition period between the 32bit and 64 bit operating systems. It's time to transition to 64bit. These OOMs are caused by communication between the program and the operating system about how much memory the program is Forcasting it will need. The program also adds in its Video memory forecast. As soon as the operating system sees the program is Going to need greater than 2Gs of memory (system ram + vram), it Very rudely and abruptly shuts dowm the program. The referee red cards the player and he is "outta there" Budda Boom. Not only are these two rude, they are also dumb as dirt. They have no idea the wall is coming. They just hit it and go splat . . . and it has Nothing to do with the amount of ram that was currently in use . . . cuz they don't know that either. A 64bit operating system uses the same method to forecast memory usage, but its limit is a ~ Googlebite. We can 3 giga-bite-switch all we want, but it just moves the wall a bit. Just wait 'til those GT280s start coming on line in mass. They have 1G of Vmemory on board. For the 32bit players, this is going to be an OOM mess.

Guest Nick_N

3 things1. You are showing 2 boot lines above.. you ONLY edit the single line in the boot.ini and do not have 2 as shown above2. Some cases require fine tuning of USERVA. Drop it 128 and try again3. OOM can be caused not only by a VM issue but also by scenery which is not made right. In the case of 3PD scenery error which happens all the time the additional edits are not going to make a differenceEDIT: 4. Typically you will not see OOM with 2GB as long as the page file is set to a single file size of 3072-3072, or, SYSTEM MANAGED. I suspect this is a scenery error issue

Hello:First let's dispell the MSFS myths :)1. You don't need a 64-bit operating system to run ANY 32-bit program in existance. Having a 64-bit operating system to run a 32-bit program that does not take advantage of the higher RAM limit is a total waste. FS9 does not scale to use as much memory as you can give it like some extremely high end server software does. Unless you got your hands on a copy of FS9 64-bit edition, don't waste your time or money.2. The 3GB switch should NOT be necessary to run FS9 or any other consumer software for that matter unless it explicitely states that you need to use this switch. Additionally, if you don't have 4GB of RAM (=3GB for programs 1GB for Windows space) again, it is a waste of time. Something else is broken that needs fixing! I've never seen FS9 use anywhere close to 3GB of RAM on my native Vista Ultimate system which comes with the 3GB switch already on.Let's start with the basics since the source of 99% of all OOM errors is a problem with FS addons or another background software program running at the same time (or some other forum hocus pocus that you put in trying to squeeze every last ounce of performance!).First step. Uninstall your addons so that you have a clean FS9 and fly your same flights. If it is stable then you found your issue. If it is STILL not stable on a clean system then you have something else running that we need to look at. Perform step 1 and let me know.Installing 64-bit and /3GB switches to fix things which shouldn't occur in the first place is like saying you fixed the engine in your car, which was shutting down every 5 minutes, by buying a new car! As a rule of thumb 2GB is sufficient to run most 32-bit XP or Vista software, 4GB is optimal and anything else over you are just giving money to charity.EDIT: Also see NickN's remarks and verify that you have your swapfile set to system managed.Regards,Mike T.

Guest D17S

I agree, generally. I never had an unintended OOM with Vista 32. I was able to force it, but I really had to work. With 32 bit Vista, the ops system OOM'd precisely on schedule. The only reasons I can see to run a 64 bit system is to prevent these OOMs and allow the system to use a full physical ram load. Other than that, there's just no reason, yet. So why bother? My 32 bit, 2 gig install ran fine. My 64 bit, 4 gig runs better. This 64bit/4G system is more a convince than anything else. That busts the myth because there is no myth. This is for convenience For instance, right now I have FS9 running, with Vatsim/ Squawkbox/Servinfo and a couple of Firefox/Flightaware/PDF pages open . . . and typing this post on Avsim as I'm waiting for clearance. My ram load is at 3.2 gigs. When I hear someone on approach, I pop FS9 back up and watch the action. The system is completely fluid. All this stuff just pops up at will. FS9 is only using 1.2G, however with a 32 bit op system (and/or) only 2G ram installed, I simply could not run all this stuff together. The 32bit system would be right up against its 3+G limit (and/or) a 2G ram install simply would not allow all these programs onboard. My 64bit/4G install Is For Convenience (Just like my choice to run a Core2 vs a 286 CPU).The argument that a process killer should be run + all that stuff should be shut down is a correct argument . . . except one thing. . . I Like all this stuff running. It's a luxury to be able to run all this stuff without having to become a computer scientist. It Just works. The additional cost was $30 (total) for that 3rd and 4th gig of ram. The fundamentalist systems engineer is not dissuaded, not in the least. Unpersuaded, he Still (accurately) argues this is not an efficient use of resources. "You guys are a bunch of hacks! That $30 could be spent on 6 gallons of gas, for goodness sakes." I agree. I agree! I would then ImmeDiateLy go spend that 30 bucks on the additional ram so I could get the goods without needing to acquire the superior knowledge the fundamentalist clearly has. I might have other things to do (like get chewed out by LA center for messing up my LOOP 4 departure!) Is trodding the road that will lead me to all that knowledge worth $30? Not to me. You? Now consider: Is this bust-the-mystery premise about saving 30 bucks? The motive may be miss presented. Same deal with the OOMs. My FS9 ran fine on a 32 bit system for ever. But if I WaS getting OOMs, how much of that intellectual energy would I be willing to spend? Again, the systems engineer would fight for the sake of pride in system knowledge. I would fight the fight right up 'til I'd had enough, then switch to a 64 bit system. After all, a Real computer scientist could get this thing to run on a 16 bit system. That would be NoT me. Regular folks gotta use the givens.

2. The 3GB switch should NOT be necessary to run FS9 or any other consumer software for that matter unless it explicitely states that you need to use this switch. Additionally, if you don't have 4GB of RAM (=3GB for programs 1GB for Windows space) again, it is a waste of time. Something else is broken that needs fixing! I've never seen FS9 use anywhere close to 3GB of RAM on my native Vista Ultimate system which comes with the 3GB switch already on.Mike this statement is not true...Reading Phil Taylors blog post here will expalin how that works. It has nothing to do with the amount of ram you have installed....http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ress-space.aspxThis 3GB fix has cured the OOM errors for me, I couldn't do a flight fro longer than an hour with out one, now with the switch I have yet to have one....

Guest ErezS

So I've uninstalled the AVG and installed Avast and the problem solved!No OOM for now,But I should do a longer flight to check if it is really solved.Thanks for the replies.

Guest D17S

That last AVG update (v8) was a mess. v7's OK, but if you had v8, you solved more problems than OOMs by getting rid of that thing. Stand by though, I'm guessing it's not over yet.I was able to force the OOM by running all sliders full right and just letting the Amazon mission stagger along at 3fps (with my old P5 machine). It took about 5 minutes. Try that method as a troubleshoot. There's a program called Processes Explorer that let's a user watch the memory forecast. FSX OOM'd right on schedule at 2G ram forecast trigger (32 bit ops system built-in limit). My actual ram load was ~ 1G.