Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Overclock Question

Guest sunbear

I've got the following system running at 333mhz and would like to overclock it to run the FSB at 400 mhz. How does one go about doing this?Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI) Manufacturer : Intel (ASUSTeK Computer Inc) Codename : Broadwater Revision : C1 Bus Speed : 266.9 MHz FSB Frequency : 1067.5 MHz (QDR) FSB max. Support : 1066 MHz RAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz) Memory Information : Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 Frequency : 400.3 MHz DRAM/FSB Ratio : 3/2 Supported Channels : Dual (128-bit) Activated Channels : Dual ECC Diagnostic : No CAS Latency (tCL) : 6 clocks RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 6 clocks RAS Precharge (tRP) : 6 clocks Cycle Time (tRAS) : 18 clocks Command Rate : 2 T Shared Memory (video) : Yes Motherboard: Asus P5B-EE6600 intel core duo running at 2.4mhz & 333Mhz on the FSB.4 gig of DDR2-800600 Watt Rosewell Power SupplyATI 1600 Pro 512 meg graphics cardDon't even know how to access the bios for starters. Any ideas would be welcomed...Regards,jack

Based on your description, your 2.4 GHz system is running with an FSB speed of 267 MHz.A nine times multiplier gives you 267 x 9 = 2400.The memory runs at 400 MHz with a 3/2 multiplier.That is pretty much standard for a E6600.Many threads on overclocking on this forum.. just do a search.To get into the bios, hit the Delete key while booting up the system.

Bert

>I've got the following system running at 333mhz and would>like to overclock it to run the FSB at 400 mhz. How does one>go about doing this?>Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI) >Manufacturer : Intel (ASUSTeK Computer Inc) >Codename : Broadwater >Revision : C1 >Bus Speed : 266.9 MHz >FSB Frequency : 1067.5 MHz (QDR) >FSB max. Support : 1066 MHz >RAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz) >> Memory Information : >Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 >Frequency : 400.3 MHz >DRAM/FSB Ratio : 3/2 >Supported Channels : Dual (128-bit) >Activated Channels : Dual >ECC Diagnostic : No >CAS Latency (tCL) : 6 clocks >RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 6 clocks >RAS Precharge (tRP) : 6 clocks >Cycle Time (tRAS) : 18 clocks >Command Rate : 2 T >Shared Memory (video) : Yes >>Motherboard: Asus P5B-E>E6600 intel core duo running at 2.4mhz & 333Mhz on the FSB.>4 gig of DDR2-800>600 Watt Rosewell Power Supply>ATI 1600 Pro 512 meg graphics card>>Don't even know how to access the bios for starters. >>Any ideas would be welcomed...>>Regards,>jackhttp://www.big-boards.com/kw/overclocking/

Guest D17S

1st, get this CPU cooler: (+fan)http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pro...oler_u120ex.htmPress the DEL key right after the boot beep.Here are the bios screens: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...us_p5b-e/3.htmlIn the Jumperfree bios section, manually set: 1) CPU Freq to 400, That's actually the FSB, Your are going for a 400x9=3.6ghz O/C . . . just to start. Anandtech had this guy to 4.0Ghz. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showd...spx?i=2795&p=18"The 2.4GHz E6600 turned out to be quite an overclocker in our tests. Even though it was hard-locked at a 9 multiplier it reached an amazing 4GHz in the overclocking tests. That represents a 67% overclock."Be great fun to put the takedown on these $1000 vX-CPUs/ $300 vX-mobo combos with a $200 pre-gen P965/E6600 2) Ram to 800Mhz(leave all timings in auto) 3) PCI buss to 100Mhz* Leave Core voltage in auto for now. The p5B might increase vCore based on clock(?). The Forums are manually setting vCore to > 1.4volts for CPU clocks > 3.4Ghz. If the system is unstable, start bringing up vCore. 1.5v is your limit.http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/show...ad.php?t=235909Don't mess with any other bios settings.Check voltage and clock with CPUZCheck temps with Coretemp or Everest. Stress with either Prime95 or Everest.rOcK oN.

Wow Sam-I'm envious! Remember all my frantic postings swapping from the stock HP (Asus P5B) board and an e6600? Then trying to get the e6850 to OC and then experimenting with the e8500? How I wish I'd had something like this then! Mine was a try and reset, try again experience- thank God you and Gary were there for at least some tips!BTW the e8500 has been ROCK STABLE 24/7/365 at 4.0 ghz- but NO luck at anything faster for any length of time. I think its my P35 board that's limiting my chip- don't really want to mess with it again right now- everything works so great and I still fly FS9 99% (PMDG 746) so there really is no need.I have been watching that Nehalem thread while salivating though......... ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Gigabyte P35 DS3R | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 2 x 320GB WD Caviar RAID 0 | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest sunbear

Thanks Sam for your extremely valuable comments as usual. I think I'm going to take these stat's and see my computer guy down the street.Regards,jack

Guest D17S

YoU can do this! (Then provide the computer guy down the street with some tips.) Bring the FSB up slowly. Gain confidence as you go. YoU be the guru (just don't tell anyone how easy it was).

Guest sunbear

Thanks for the vote of confidence....Regards,jack

Guest sunbear

>YoU can do this! (Then provide the computer guy down the>street with some tips.) Bring the FSB up slowly. Gain>confidence as you go. YoU be the guru (just don't tell anyone>how easy it was). Here are my results of overclocking now.....General Information : Real Frequency : 2098.7 MHz Multiplier : 6x Low/High Multiplier : 6x / 9x Multiplier Locked : Yes Marketing Frequency : 2394 MHz Front Side Bus Information : Bus Speed : 349.8 MHz FSB Frequency : 1399.1 MHz (QDR) Initial Frequencies : Frequency : 2400 MHz FSB Frequency : 266 MHz Multiplier : 9x Frequency Control : Core #1 : 2098.75 MHz Core #2 : 2098.67 MHz Control Clock Frequency : Type : Enhanced SpeedStep (EIST) EIST Enabled : Yes C1E - Enhanced Halt Mode : No Thermal Information : Thermal Design Power : 65 W Core Power : 56.84 W (estimated) Resistance : 0.36

Guest D17S

Good job. Looks fine so far. You are at a 350Mhz FSB with Speed-Step enabled. The CPU will clock to 6 x 350 = 2.1Ghz under a light load. When you fire up a game, it will ramp to 9 x 350 = 3.15Ghz under a game load.You can go some more if you want. From here it will take some additional CPU volts and (possibly) a CPU aftermarket cooler. But even at ~ 3.2Ghz, you have a $300, Penryn E8500 CPU for a lot less. Nice O/C'n.Wait for definitive results from this forum about the GTX280. It's Nvidia's new $500 Vcard. I expect it will NoT help this game, however give it a couple of weeks. I believe we will continue to find the 8800GT is all the vcard FSX can use. This game is CPU capped and your CPU O/Cing skills will be the secret sauce to optimize this rough rascal. The 8800GTs are price-dropping like rocks. If you can get a 'vintage' 8800GTX for ~ $200, that'll likely be a best buy for FSX until FSnext finally comes 'round.

Guest sunbear

As usual Sam, I value your inputs and you have been an invaluable source of knowledge. Well done Sir, and a big thanks from me and I'm sure others who also find your advise unwavering.Regards,jack