Sign in to follow this  
jfri

I might need to get a new system right now

I have an old AMD 64 3200+ and AGP socket 939 mb. I have lately been experiencing severe problems propably related to the videocard (maybe mb or psu).Therefore my conclusion is that the best option is to get a new system. My situation right now means that the price must be kept down (must use credit). I would like to hear opinions about my reasoning below and see if I might forget anything.As a mb my conclusion is that a Asus M2N-SLI nForce 560 SLI MCP 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 4PCIe is the best option which I intend to use with a AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ and 2 Gb 6400 DDR2 RAM.http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=ASM2NThe reason for AMD and not Intel is that at the same price I would only get C2D 4700 in a not so god mb. I need a mb with two IDE ports since I already have two IDE drives. Also I have a 9 years old casing with no fans so I intend to be cautious about OC. Otherwise I found a Intel based mb with two IDE portshttp://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.asp...t=MSIP4M900M2-LAs for PSU I have found the Corsair HX Series 520W to be best choicehttp://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.asp...ct=CAPSUHX-520WReason is I wan't modular cables since my case is no fan and rather cramped. Also from info I got 520 W is well enough for my system so I don't need the 620W version as a first considered.For videocard things are a little bit more difficult. I'm contemplating betweenNVIDIA 9600GT ATI 3850 or 3870 and NVIDIA 8800GT all with 512M. At the moment I'm inclined at 8800GThttp://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.asp...=GIGPCX88GT-512Reason is, I understand it's significantly more powerful than the others and cost only slightly more. Though I have heard that FS is very CPU bound and spending money on the videocard gains very little. But this info is contradicted by the latest issue of PC pilot who for example claims the service pack for FSX has changed that.My hope is that I will be able to run FSX with addon planes and UT and Active Sky FSGenesis mesh, even if I realise I won't be able to max out all sliders. Is this a good choice for a new system? When clicking the links, prices are in SEK and 1$ USA is SEK 6. The total price may not be higher. My current unreliable systemAsus A8V Deluxe /Wifi G S939AMD 64 3200+NVIDIA 6600GT 256M DDR31 Gb 400 MHz RAMTwo IDE HD and two optical unitsQTec 550W PSUWin XP HomeSamsung 19" TFT at 1280*1024

My upgrade a while back (listed below) is similar to yours, and I'm happy with it's ability to run FSX. My choice now for a video card on a budget would also be the 8800GT 512MB. As far as connecting two IDE devices, I believe most motherboards now have only one IDE port which will allow connection of two drives. Make sure the PSU has a good fan in the bottom for ventilation. Additional fans are cheap if you have spaces to mount them.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art