Sign in to follow this  
out

8800GT drivers and AA/AF in FS9

Hi everyone!First I would like to thank all those who in two other posts helped me make a choice for my new system.I finally bought my new PC meant for FS9.1 (for a good price):-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz-GeForce 8800GT 512MB-2 GB RAM DDR2-800-ASUS MOBO-good cooling and power supplyNow the question to you, Gurus. ;)Generally I'm very happy with the new equipment.My FPS went up and I can finally have smooth landings at large airports. My FS also loads much faster.There are still two problems: one old and one new.The old one is the ground texture blurries. I still get them, though the CPU is quite strong as for FS9.1, isn't it.I have applied alstiff's and Koorby's fs9.cfg tweaks and it's better though still not as good as I would like. The other is the GPU drivers and AA&AF settings.I have read a lot of post here and I know latest drivers are not recommended for nvidia cards.But, being frank, I am not a hardware/software guru and I'm confused.I have installed the drivers that came with the CD (6.14.11.6932).Result? I do have the famous problems with Antialiasing (and probably Aniso).It can be seen especially clear in the FS main aircraft menu plus on airport lines (taiways, etc). I tried to install older drivers (first I unistalled the old ones) from the 9X.XX series, but I had problems (e.g. message saying they are not compatible with the card version I have?).And no matter if I let the application choice or I force AA via the nvidia setup menu, there is no difference.So, not to make the post too long:- any fully-working way to drop ground blurries forever? ;)and- which exactly drivers would you recommend for my GPU?- how to uninstall my present drivers in the most proper way?- how can I install the older drivers sucessfully?- should I install and use nHancer?- what should be the AA/AF settings?I'm sorry to recreate problems that have already been discuused here, but I am too confused on what to do.Thank you in advance for any assistance.Best regards,RafalEDIT: forgot to mention - I'm using Windows XP SP2 Home edition.

Guest djt01

If you read though this thread you

Guest D17S

If you get used to looking at FSX textures, the FS9 textures will always be a disappointment. FS9 is for technical flying (PMDG, etc). Your system will run FSX at acceptable settings and frames with the Default airplanes. For the AA issue, 1st, uninstall nHanser. It's just a GUI for the normal Nvidia control panel anyway and generally, only adds a layer of confusion. Use the current driver from the Nvidia site (New, Old: They all work fine). Now go into the Regular Nvidia control panel and disable the FS9 Profile. Set Global to 8xAA 16xAF, etc. Now fire up FS9 and check the AA box in FS9's settings screen. Reboot. That'll get your AA back. nHanser has some additional settings, but you Must get used to seeing the standard settings before you will be able to tell any difference. It's like the difference between a 1969 and a 1973 Chardonnay. The difference might be there, but it takes a trained nose.

Guys,thank you for your advice.Unfortunately it didn't help with the AA problem.Still looks exactly the same.aa.jpgLooking forward to hearing from someone with FS9 + 8800GT who solved the problem.Best regards,Rafal

For your AA problems: Use nHancer. I tried doing all this in the nVidia control panel and my AA didn't hold, no matter how many times someone tried to tell me I must be doing it wrong. :-) Then shut down nhancer to fly if you want, but I really don't see that it gobbles up all that many resources. I keep forgetting and leave it on all the time and I never even notice.Follow the suggestions in one of these threads exactly. AA will work with the latest drivers -- I was a doubter too and it did work. Some people are finding that if they check AA in the sim, that that even works. With my system, I found the secret was to deny any nHancer FS9 profile access to the FS9.exe program, and run AA at combined 8xSQ:<< http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...199753803/25#25 >><< http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search >>There are tons of threads about this in the FS9 and hardware forums -- try a search on nHancer.

Thanks, Chuck!I will study the threads and give it a thorough try.I will report back later if I happen to follow your success.Best regards,Rafal

Rafal: My system is almost identical to yours, so I know it will work. Be sure to set your Global settings identically to the profile settings, too! My feeling is that the profile doesn't even matter if you use an FS9 dedicated system with Global settings as outlined in that thread.As I said, nothing worked until I used Combined: 8xSQ.Let us know how all turns out.

Guest D17S

You might try a clean driver uninstall/install.1) Remove the Nvidia driver with control panel's add-remove programs function. 2) Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot) 3 Run Driver Cleaner Pro for the nvidia drivers http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=7454)Reboot to windows and install the newest Nvidia driver for your card. 5 Reboot. Now go into Nvidia's control panel and goto Manage 3D Settings. Select the Program settings tab, Scroll down to the FS9 profile and Remove it.Reboot. BTW make sure nHancer is uninstalled, or at very least make Very sure the FS9 profile is disabled in nHancer too. That can be tricky, so the best bet is to simply uninstall nHancer, then reboot. If nHancer is installed, it will override the regular control panel's settings. That can turn into a real behind-the-seen settings flip-flop. Frustration will be it's primary result. It's best to just get rid of it . . . and get rid of it Before you start any driver reload drill. (BTW: nHancer is only a fancy front-end (GUI)for the regular Nvidia control panel. Like the control panel, once settings are selected nHancer can (even should) be completely shut down. Both are simply making registry changes. For instance, there's no need to keep Regedit running after I'm done messing with the registry. There's no need to keep either running in any way. They have done their job. Close 'em out.) I have the 8800GT too and this worked for me. Others are claiming they were able to get nHancer to work with FS9. Not me. For FS9, nHancer is a real pain. Why bother?

For me there was simply no way I could get AA to work with the Nvidia drivers alone. I actually formatted and re-installed Windows XP and FS9 several times with different nVidia drivers, until I gave up and then learnt about nHancer. With it, I instantly had AA in its full glory.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

So did you get it yet?I run FS9 and the 8800GT too, yeah I had to fight with it, but you need to follow the instructions here, you gotta read through the whole thread toohttp://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=38921&st=0The above is the main nvidia thread, and I also posted too, when I was having problems with the new drivers here:http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthrea...?t=78811&page=2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |