Sign in to follow this  
vb1

Added 1mb memory to XP now stutters

I do a lot of video work so I added 1mb to go from 2 to 3mb which helped. However, I now have stutters in FSX. I have XP pro sp3 and FSX with acceleration. I rebuilt FSX.cfg from scratch. Any thoughts?VB1

Guest UlfB

VB1,I assume that you mean GB, not MB.Did you add two identical memory sticks and are these of the same kind as your original 2GB? Obviously not. Have you inserted the sticks in the correct memory slots on your mobo?If you mix different kind of sticks, depending on your mobo, BIOS might automatically change memory timings to "safe settings" to make sure your pc will boot. This change will make your pc a lot slower. Have you checked and adjusted your BIOS settings?What mobo are we talking about? What memory stick(s) are your original 2GB and the added 1GB?Edited 1: And this post should be moved to the hardware forum ;-)Edited 2: Do you have performance problems with any other game than FSX? Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

>I do a lot of video work so I added 1mb to go from 2 to 3mb>which helped. However, I now have stutters in FSX. I have XP>pro sp3 and FSX with acceleration. I rebuilt FSX.cfg from>scratch. Any thoughts?>>VB1Make sure the memory is of the same type and version number.I had purchased 2 more gig and because the version was different the system did not run correctly; especially when trying to overclock.So I have to get 4 gig of same type and version and my system is happy again.

The memory is identical to the original. The sticks are in the first three slots. The motherboard is Intel D975BX. The memory OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400. I don't play other games but the video rendering processes on video movie editing seem faster. VB1

Guest Capt_Scarlet

>The memory is identical to the original. The sticks are in>the first three slots. The motherboard is Intel D975BX. The>memory OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400. I don't play other games but the>video rendering processes on video movie editing seem faster.>>>VB1I could be wrong but even if you have added the same type of memory the memory will no longer be in "dual channel" mode which I believe means that it wont be as fast as being in dual channel mode. To be in dual channel mode you either have to have two or four identical memory sticks inserted on the motherboard.John

as the other chap mentioned, the reason why mother boards have even number of slots is to allow memory to run in dual channel mode which basically allow the cpu to access more memory faster, it increases your memory bandwidth, by putting a third stick in it cant operate in that mode anymore so your bandwidth is reduced quiet a bit, do a read up on it. And the memory must be same brand same model same cas, or there may be little conflicts due to differences in timing and speed. And video editing proably isnt as heavy on resources as FSX is.

If I put a fourth stick (maytching) in will that give me dual channel?VB1