Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Quad Pro and Triple video cards still not enough?

alsummers,Were you going to post a link to a review on SLI performance with triple cards? I would be interested to see, but the new posts in this thread have got me really depressed!I suppose I should be greatful that I can even run FSX with all the performance sliders at the max. Also accept that if I want to get better FPS at major airports then I'll have to back them off (but which ones and how much - the perenial question).NigelP.S. I think I was not sure about FSX when even the demo glitched and jumped all over the place! I wonder why they haven't fixed the demo flight in FSX so it is smooth (and doesn't have the a/c turning of the runway and missing the taxiway by a mile!)?

Quote"This is what even FS9 does to a pretty strong machine (27.5fps average):"Looks excellent to me, or have I missed something?Nigel

Yes, you missed a lot - this is FS9!!! Concerning the hardware, and 4 year old simulation, what does that tell you? In 3 years, we might have that with FSX... but not today.

Well, with respect then no I didn't miss something.I think I would expect that sort of frame rate in FS9 on such a view.Tell me if I am wrong, but that doesn't look too demanding.I would however be somewhat impressed if that frame rate was displayed on short finals to a major airport with multiple runways and active traffic.Nigel

Heh, that is exactly what I ment. You were looking into FSX with high framerates, and were disappointed with high-end hardware. I am running almost high-end hardware, and in a simple sea-clouds-aircraft situation, it brings the system to its knees.No, you are right. It doesn't look very demanding, but clouds still do bring FS into lower framerates.I am not using any active traffic, so can't be of much help here (I am always flying online when flying), but I can gladly post you an approach to some airport with multi-runways...

Guest harleyman52

>I have recently bought a hi-end gaming system with quad>processor and triple 9800 video cards, but still get bad>stepping and low frame rates with the performance settings at>max!>>I assumed that this system would be enough to run FSX Accel'>with 'all the stops out' but it seems not. I get stepping and>various video delays and unwanted effects when flying and>looking around. Landing at a major airport gets only frame>rates around 6-7!>>Surely it should be better than this?>>Any suggestions as to what I might do would be gratefully>received.>>NigelYEA...It should be much better than that......I get 40-50 frames constant,and drop to 30-35 at big airports..At times I push onto the 115 area ....My custom system is too a quad,,And all cores do work just fine.....If you know how to set them up(In Vista)..... Now then..I started this out with SLI 8800 GTS cards,frames /performance were higher(much) but I learned it did not support Dualview that I wanted...So I dropped the SLI for one Ultra.... Case: Digital Storm 850Si Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache) overclocked 3.38Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme SpeedHard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)Video Card: 8800 Ultra EVGA 786Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi FPS Fatal1ty Champion (Includes Front I/O Unit)Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)

Harleyman,Well that is encouraging, where you will see others experience suggests at least SLI doesn't help FSX.It would be too much to ask you for any more details, wouldn't it? On how you configured your Vista for Quad core and SLI such that you got the frame rates you did?Was it an extensive and involved process or maybe some simple rules to follow?Just a few pointers would be very welcome.Nigel

Guest harleyman52

>Current games do not take advantage of quad core processors. >The gamers choice at the moment is dual core.>>I run my FSX on all 4 cores of my quad...I watch them go daily as I monitor tempts.......Core 0......100% off the batCore 1......70-100% off the batCore 2..... 60-70 while flyingCore 3....30-40% while going into a large airport

Ray,Thanks for your advice.I should say I am getting already getting some very useful help from another member here. But you asked for my specs and here they are:-Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 1066FSB 12MB Cache Quad Core Core 64 Bit Processor Processor Speed 4 x 2.66GHz Memory 2GB Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram Hard Drive Dual 74GB 10,000RPM WD Raptors (2 x 74GB) Striped Raid 1 x 500 16MB Buffer SATA Hard Drive Graphics Triple Nvidia 9800GTX 512MB PCI-E Graphics Running In SLI Mode Drive 1 LG H20L Blue - Ray Rewriter & HD DVD Player Drive 2 20x Dual Layer +R/-R/RW DVD burner Sound ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC Motherboard Asus Striker2 Formula SLi nVidia 780I They show also:-Front Side Bus 533 / 800 / 1066 / 1333 MHzwhich suggest they didn't know what it was!Nigel

Guest harleyman52

>And with a BIT of selfhelping, reading, you can learn a>lesson for life in terms of computing and save yourself great>deal of money. These forums have more than enough info on>everything. Sorry had to comment on this service, as I found>it only ludicrous.>Besides, its the fact that FSX even today can't run with all>sliders right on no matter how expensive hardware is.Let me say this.....That service you refer to is great....That man knows more about Flight Sims,Windows,and the working of computer hardware than anyone I have ever met....Does he improve FSX....100%I see you use Nhancer....Not to knock it but a good well built rig out of the box does not need that tool....I can run with all sliders right..Its not *Perfect* so I pull a couple back one notch..then I achieve 40-50 PFS constant,and 30-40 comming into KLAX..And I run all traffic sliders almost maxed,along with MyTrafficXSo... I have to disagree with some statements here...Oh well....Its more than my oppinion..Its how I run FSX......My specs are very close to yours.....

"and 30-40 comming into KLAX..And I run all traffic sliders almost maxed,along with MyTrafficX"Cloud9 LAX, PMDG 747 (or LDS 767), Ultimate Terrain USA and MyTrafficX on approach with 30-40fps? All sliders maxed...?Show some screenshots please.

Guest harleyman52

Word Not Allowed.....I will be more than happy to as soon as my rig gets back from a RMA....And not all Maxed out as I stated.....Almost all...And yes its true......Now when I hit the ground,and am surrounded with all the AI running about,I do go down to 18-25....But clean and steady......Flying out of Ford Island,which is my test airport ..I push at times well over 100 frames........And we all know frames are not the best way to measure performance....I can pull sliders way back and push 100 in many areas of the world...But it is sketchy looking,and not good......And I knew you would doubt this...What can I say..A pic is worth a thousand words...And I promise you a pic or two soon....

Well, then I have the same performance like you do.But I would still like to see even 25frames out of PMDGs 747 cockpit with AI in sight, as I said, on something like Cloud9 KLAX.

Guest harleyman52

Well i tend to stay away from planes that hit performance real hard....and I don't have cloud 9..I use..FSGenesis...FEX...UTX...GEX...AS6.5....MyTrafficX....And I'm a GA flier........