Sign in to follow this  
Guest djt01

ATI on its way back?

Guest djt01

Some really nice performance out of a $199.00 card

Don't hold your breath. The 3870X2 couldn't really hack it in heavy cloud - the 8800GTX left it standing.And with a memory bus of 256-bit I don't expect much from this one. The 8800GTX remains the best card for FSX.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>Don't hold your breath. The 3870X2 couldn't really hack it in>heavy cloud - the 8800GTX left it standing.>>And with a memory bus of 256-bit I don't expect much from this>one. The 8800GTX remains the best card for FSX.Ditto.Stay away from the 3870X2. Clouds bring it to its knees.

Guest Nick_N

They fixed the TMU issue with the 3xxx cards which is why they were choking to death in heavy weather.Yes, expect to see its big brother WHOMP the 8800GTX/Ultra but we wont know anything about that for sure until July

Guest djt01

>They fixed the TMU issue with the 3xxx cards which is why they>were choking to death in heavy weather.The other big surprise was the OpenGL performance, a lot different than what we

I think the latest ATI/AMD video cards have been "almost (great) but not quite".Let's hope this 4xxx series finally does it. If the cpu market isn't close, at least the gpu market could be.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Pilot533

Ati is coming back, the 4850 beats the 9800gtx, the 4870 is only going to be better, and the 4870x2 looks like its going to beat the gtx280. I believe ati will be on top soon enough, which is good, we need a new king. ;)

Guest jahman

>They fixed the TMU issue with the 3xxx cards which is why they>were choking to death in heavy weather.>You mean they fixed the TMU issue for the 3xxx cards (driver fix), or only for the 4xxx (hardware fix)?Do you have any additional info (e.g. URL)?Thanks for the clarification.Cheers,-jahman.

Guest jahman

>And with a memory bus of 256-bit I don't expect much from this>one.According to http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334the GTX 280 has a 512-bit w-i-d-e memory bus but performancesimilar to the HD3870X2 (sez THG), so at least in this casethe memory bus width seems to not play a role.GTX 280 THG Review:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia...80,1953-15.htmlCheers,-jahman.

>Ati is coming back, the 4850 beats the 9800gtx, the 4870 is>only going to be better, and the 4870x2 looks like its going>to beat the gtx280. I believe ati will be on top soon enough,>which is good, we need a new king. ;)And it sure looks like I will be using it to replace my 1950Pro !If it overcomes the slowdown with clouds then its sold to me.

>Don't hold your breath. The 3870X2 couldn't really hack it in>heavy cloud - the 8800GTX left it standing.>>And with a memory bus of 256-bit I don't expect much from this>one. The 8800GTX remains the best card for FSX.Maybe it's the driver and not the card.

>Ati is coming back, the 4850 beats the 9800gtx, the 4870 is>only going to be better, and the 4870x2 looks like its going>to beat the gtx280. I believe ati will be on top soon enough,>which is good, we need a new king. ;)And along comes the 9800GXT+

<>Quite possibly but the feedback I was getting from ATI support did not fill me with confidence.And if I was going to get a decent price for the 3870X2 I had to move quickly. The other reason I needed to move quickly was the availability of the 8800GTX.In the end I bought a 8800GTX for the same price I sold the 3870X2 for and it resolved the heavy cloud problem. If ATI have solved it with new drivers then well done but I won't be buying another card until FSXI or if this one fails outside warranty.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Nick_N

As I posted above its mainly the TMU's the cards do not have. Major quack-up by ATI in the last round of cardsthey fixed that with the 4x seriesI expect the 4870x will be the first card to top the 8800GTX/ULT in FSX if the specs I suspect will hold true.

What's a TMU? :-hmmm

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather