Sign in to follow this  
jfri

How warm should the CPU be expected to be

When trying to setup a new system the reseller advice me to use a case with at least two fans.My current case is nine years old and has no fans att all. My AMD 64 3200+ gets up to 57 deg celsius during heavy gaming.First should a modern CPU like E8400 be expected to be hotter or colder assuming I use my current fan less case? Would the situation change if I used a E7200 CPU instead?What experience do you have for CPU temperature and in what case (how many case fans)? Does anyone tried running a new modern system in case without fans?

With the stock fan/cooler, you'll probably see the same 50-60C under load. If you throw a modern GPU into the case with no other fans, then you might add another 10C to the equation. Ironically, the fan noise you may be trying to save by not having case fans will be countered by the noise of the CPU and GPU fans having to work much harder than they would otherwise do in a well ventilated case. Why don't you just get a new case with large, relatively silent, 120mm fans and just be done with the issue?Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>With the stock fan/cooler, you'll probably see the same>50-60C under load. If you throw a modern GPU into the case>with no other fans, then you might add another 10C to the>equation. Ironically, the fan noise you may be trying to save>by not having case fans will be countered by the noise of the>CPU and GPU fans having to work much harder than they would>otherwise do in a well ventilated case. Why don't you just get>a new case with large, relatively silent, 120mm fans and just>be done with the issue?>No it's not noise I'm trying to save but money. My intended upgrade consisting ofMSI P6N SLI-F V2 nForce 650i SLI 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 4PCIe Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 6MB FSB1333 Boxed Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN HyperX 2x1024MB (tot. 2048MB) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHzAsus Extreme GeForce 8800GT TOP 512MB DDR3 TV-out HDTV DUAL DVI SLI-ready RETAIL PCI ExpressCorsair HX Series 520W 120mm Fan ATX2.2 20/24-pin 4/8-pins 12V Modularis already much money for me. I first intended to use my old chassi but was told that new gaming computers require at least two fans in the chassi otherwise they get to hot.

I would not build a new system today with the types of components you have chosen without having a case with at least one 120mm outlet fan. I'm sure it will work in your old case, but the saving may end up being a false economy if the slow baking process ends up killing one of your main system components. You don't need a fancy case to achieve reasonable airflow. Here's one for $22 that has one 120mm fan (you can add another 120mm fan for the front for $6 or so): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811147110

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>I would not build a new system today with the types of>components you have chosen without having a case with at least>one 120mm outlet fan. I'm sure it will work in your old case,>but the saving may end up being a false economy if the slow>baking process ends up killing one of your main system>components. >Yes that was the sellers point and I think it sounds likely.>You don't need a fancy case to achieve reasonable airflow.>Here's one for $22 that has one 120mm fan (you can add another>120mm fan for the front for $6 or so):>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811147110A problem here is they are situated in USA and additional shipping and VAT cost would drastic increase that price.Otherwise here in Sweden from my intended retailer I have found three cheap alternatives1) Cooler Master Elite 330 Miditower http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.asp...duct=CMELITE330Pro cheapest airfilter Con black2) Gigabyte Triton 180 Miditower SILVER without PSU/utan n

>When trying to setup a new system the reseller advice me to>use a case with at least two fans.>My current case is nine years old and has no fans att all. My>AMD 64 3200+ gets up to 57 deg celsius during heavy gaming.>First should a modern CPU like E8400 be expected to be hotter>or colder assuming I use my current fan less case? Would the>situation change if I used a E7200 CPU instead?>What experience do you have for CPU temperature and in what>case (how many case fans)? Does anyone tried running a new>modern system in case without fans? 57C is about 134F, so it's not bad. You could 'lap' the cpu and cooler. I did this to my fx62 and knocked off another 5 degrees.Here is a nice case. As of now I am going to build a new puter using it. Check out the pics. The vertical bar shown in the sideview picture comes out.http://www.sundialmicro.com/product.php?cid=1928&pid=1358

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, I just built a new system with a QX9650 and ASUS Maximus MB and 8800GTS, and I used my old case, but. This case had an 1100 watt power supply, and 3 exit fans and 4 entrance fans . . .and my system runs 90 degrees F running and I have never seen it higher than 113 under full load, and that is with an overclock of 3.78 . . . and I have seen 4.13 stable, but don't find it necessary to go that high.I also have a zalman cooler on the cpu and an additional 120mm fan blowing towards the exit fans passing over the vid card. Yes, I am parinoid about heat, but when your CPU goes for over a grand, you want to be safe. Do yourself a favor, spend the bucks on a case with great ventilation and you'll never regret it.Best to all,Clay http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest Mach42

I'll agree with everyone here. Relying on just the Power supply to exhaust hot air isn't enough nowadays. The Corsair HX520 is a quiet PSU. That means that it runs the fan very slowly. Combined with a 8800GT, which exhausts the hot air into the case instead of outside the case like the 8800GTS two slot card does, it'll get pretty warm-like an oven. Those 8800GTs put out quite a lot of heat. Not to mention, your hard drives are probably roasting. Get a case with two fans at least. 120mm in the rear and a 120mm in the front to cool your HDD(s). Just as an aside, my case, the Cooler Master RC690, has 6 fans doing intake and exhaust, and it is very quiet since I can run all the fans at very low speeds. Include the PSU and heatsink fans, and I'm up to 9 120mm fans. It maybe overkill, but my room is currently 34C (90F) right now. The inside of my case stays very cool considering the high ambient temps.

Guest D17S

Those 120mm fans are only $2-3 at an outlet house. Cut a hole in the top of the case and mount 2, blowing straight up. That'll do it. They'll call you the MoDmAN.Then stand clear 'n Game on.

>This would be good value for your money jfri,>>1) Cooler Master Elite 330 Miditower >http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.asp...duct=CMELITE330>>But make sure you keep the 'Washable' filters clean, if the>machine is in a dusty or smokey environment.>Yes out of the three this one is cheapest even if considering that an extra 120mm fan needs to be purchased. Another thing I like about it is the airfilter. Does this mean my case won't be filled with dust like my current one?I have also nooted that its weight is lower than the other two. I wonder why since ther are about the same size.

Guest harleyman52

You need fans......No doubt...Minimum of 1 120 mm blowing out the back if possible....You can modify your case too,just cut a hole in the case where needed,add a 120 mm for about 12 bucks........ It may look odd,but it will move the hot air out.....

Guest Mach42

>like about it is the airfilter. Does this mean my case won't>be filled with dust like my current one?>I have also nooted that its weight is lower than the other>two. I wonder why since ther are about the same size.You can never keep out all of the dust. However, with a filter, there should be less.