Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Quadcore vs Dualcore for the non overclocker

Guest davidvoogd

Just curious if a Quadcore Intel

Guest harleyman52

Man you are on a quest...... Intel is dropping the Q9300-a very good quad core for the Q9450. You may get a great price on this one........They both will fly FSX very good.....But your second choise will suit you better if you really never want to O/C. I would think...Its @ 3.16,closer to that sweet spot FSX likes......

Guest davidvoogd

Yep definately on a quest lol - figured I'd get a dedicated processor thread going, all the other dual core vs quads I found was oc based.Thanks for the info

Considering FSX won't use 4 cores, you'd be better off getting a E8400. Good dual core with a nice 3.0ghz clock out of the box. The core stays cool and draws less power than the 65nm's. It also OC's well, but I guess oc'ing doesn't matter, does it? :)

Why do you say it won't use 4 cores?I seem to recall reading specific information that FSX can scale to almost any number of cores.I had all but settled on plopping down for a Q9450, even knowing that FSX was the only program I intended on using any time soon capable of using multiple cores. I figured over the next couple of years, there will be an exponential increase in applications/games that make efficient use of multiple cores.I totally understand the CPU bound nature of FS. It still at least SOUNDS more powerful though to have, say, 4 cores at 3.2 GHz (imagine Q9450 modestly overclocked) than 2 cores at 3.6 (Modest E8400 Overclock).Sincerely, if there's no real performance benefit to 4 cores over two, let me know. I sure believed a different story too. Totally not downing what you are asserting, but I'm making the big processor decision pretty soon here, and I could save a chunk of cash by going Dual Core... but if a Quad will last me that much longer in the long run, I'm willing to invest in that.~Nate

No overclocking? The E8500 then - raw core speed is more important than more cores than two at this stage of the FS game.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest davidvoogd

sorry wrong thread lol

Guest davidvoogd

Well it doesn't matter now ... had to replace all the brakes on my car - PC is put on hold for a bit now :@Thanks for the help anyways though.