Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Overclocking Problem encountered

Guest sunbear

I just recently overclocked my computer and I'm experiencing MSFS FS9 program shut-down...It doesn't happened all the time, but when I have heavy weather to go through at ORD, the FPS will be at a constant 20fps which I have set and everything appears to be operating perfectly until the program automatically shuts down and the screen goes back to my opening Windows default screen with my icons etc....My spec's are as follows:General Information : NorthBridge : Intel P965 SouthBridge : 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface Controller NorthBridge Information : Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI) Manufacturer : Intel (ASUSTeK Computer Inc) Codename : Broadwater Revision : C1 Bus Speed : 349.8 MHz FSB Frequency : 1399 MHz (QDR) FSB max. Support : 1066 MHz RAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz) Memory Information : Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5600 Frequency : 349.8 MHz DRAM/FSB Ratio : 1/1 Supported Channels : Dual (128-bit) Activated Channels : Dual ECC Diagnostic : No CAS Latency (tCL) : 5 clocks RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 6 clocks RAS Precharge (tRP) : 6 clocks Cycle Time (tRAS) : 18 clocks Command Rate : 2 T Shared Memory (video) : Yes PCI-Express Information : Thermal control : Thermal Sensor Enabled : No Thermometer Mode Enabled : No Hot Trip Point : 0

Guest D17S

Google/get Coretemp and Prime 95. Stress it with Prime and watch the temps on Coretemp (If you have access to Everest, that's an AIO program.) Could be temp or not enough Vcore at your O/C. Time to break out the tools.

Guest sunbear

Wilco Sam..Thanks for the response.Regards,jack

Guest sunbear

Sam,I ran the Prime95 and got the following but only after I stopped it from running for over 2 hours. Is this normal and what does the below data tell me???? I'm totally lost at this point.Regards,jackRESULTS OF PRIME 95 tests:[Wed Jun 25 15:23:42 2008]FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.[Wed Jun 25 17:59:45 2008]FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.46875, expected less than 0.4Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.[Wed Jun 25 18:16:08 2008]Self-test 1024K passed![Wed Jun 25 18:32:18 2008]Self-test 8K passed![Wed Jun 25 18:48:50 2008]Self-test 10K passed![Wed Jun 25 19:05:25 2008]Self-test 896K passed![Wed Jun 25 19:21:45 2008]Self-test 768K passed![Wed Jun 25 19:37:57 2008]Self-test 12K passed![Wed Jun 25 19:53:58 2008]Self-test 14K passed!

jack - What CPU , MB and memory do you have? What bios settings do you have the CPU and memory at, what FSB, voltage, etc?Your results indicate a bad overclock (FATAL ERROR).You may need more voltage or need to drop the FSB down,but post your specifics so someone can help more.

Guest sunbear

>jack - What CPU , MB and memory do you have? >What bios settings do you have the CPU and memory at, what>FSB, voltage, etc?>>Your results indicate a bad overclock (FATAL ERROR).>You may need more voltage or need to drop the FSB down,>but post your specifics so someone can help more.My spec's are as follows:General Information :NorthBridge : Intel P965SouthBridge : 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface ControllerNorthBridge Information :Architecture : Direct Media Interface (DMI)Manufacturer : Intel (ASUSTeK Computer Inc)Codename : BroadwaterRevision : C1Bus Speed : 349.8 MHzFSB Frequency : 1399 MHz (QDR)FSB max. Support : 1066 MHzRAM max. Support : DDR2 (800 MHz)Memory Information :Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5600Frequency : 349.8 MHzDRAM/FSB Ratio : 1/1Supported Channels : Dual (128-bit)Activated Channels : DualECC Diagnostic : NoCAS Latency (tCL) : 5 clocksRAS to CAS (tRCD) : 6 clocksRAS Precharge (tRP) : 6 clocksCycle Time (tRAS) : 18 clocksCommand Rate : 2 TShared Memory (video) : YesPCI-Express Information :Thermal control :Thermal Sensor Enabled : NoThermometer Mode Enabled : NoHot Trip Point : 0

Guest sunbear

>jack - What CPU , MB and memory do you have? >What bios settings do you have the CPU and memory at, what>FSB, voltage, etc?>>Your results indicate a bad overclock (FATAL ERROR).>You may need more voltage or need to drop the FSB down,>but post your specifics so someone can help more.Conroe core 2 duo e6600 asus p5b-e with 4 gig of ddr2-800 ram & 600 WATT Rosewell power supply..Regards,jack

>Conroe core 2 duo e6600 asus p5b-e with 4 gig of ddr2-800 ram>& 600 WATT Rosewell power supply..>It's sounds as your pretty new to o/cing as your not mentioning the key factors... CPU voltage, core temps and the effect on Prime95 runs.Probably best to search posts here and elsewhere, as many have outlined how they overclocked and what tools were used.Here's what I did:A) Buy and install a Extreme 120 cooler1) In the bios, manually set the PCIe bus to 1002) Manually set the memory voltage and timings to standard3) Set the CPU voltage under Intels limit4) Set the FSB manually to your default speed5) Slowly up the FSB until errors show in Prime 95 within 10 minutes, monitor temps keeping within limits.6) Either back off FSB or increase CPU voltage keeping well under Intels limts till errors disappear and temps are still safe.7) Improve memory timings if desired.The best thing I did before starting was to read, read , read about when others did to overclock with my MB.Good luck :)

Guest sunbear

Many thanks for your inputs. It sounds like I overclocked without an Extreme 120 cooler. I'm just running the stock Rosewell case cooler along with my Core2 duo 6600..Regards,jack

Guest sunbear

More info regarding my current system and temp's right after MSFS went down.....Monitoring Chip : Winbond W83627DHGVoltage CPU : 1.40 V+3.3V Voltage : 3.33 V+5V Voltage : 5.46 V+12V Voltage : 12.75 VProcessor Fan : 2766 rpmProcessor Temperature : 50.5

Guest Mach42

MSFS does not stress the cpu nearly as much as Prime95 does temperature-wise. Run Prime95 and post the temp results during the test here. Start off on the large FFTs. Note that running the small FFT test with Prime gives you temps that are 6-8C higher than the large FFT and the blend tests, so don't do that until you have checked out the temps with large. I don't want you to push the temps way over safe with a suboptimal cpu cooler. Note that your temps will drop precipitously almost immediately (less than a second) after stopping a cpu utilizing program. Temps right after are of no use. You need to monitor temps during. You should be careful with this, because 44 is pretty high considering that you were "only" running FSX and the fact that the program had stopped before checking temps. 70C is a fairly high max limit and most will choose to have 65C or less as a max while running Prime95. If you see the temps rise above 65-70 during a Prime95 test session, you definitely want to get a new CPU cooler for overclocking.It also looks like you can use more case cooling. Your hard drives are getting pretty hot at 50C.

Guest sunbear

Thanks for the input. I'm off to get a Thermaright 120 Ultra Extreme cooler for this puppy...Regards,jack