Sign in to follow this  
Guest costone

Any $GTX 280$ Owners In Here Simming??

Guest costone

Just got the big expensive brick...and holding it for a future Quad Core/64-bit system build (not solely for my dreams of crushing FS9/FSX some day though). Sort of the reverse engineering approach to building a new platform around the card - which by the sheer size of it seems pretty wise... Didn't install the 280 into my current rig yet because 1.) Capt. Kirk needs more POWER... and 2.) Don't really see the hardcore benefit of using the new slay card yet due to FS being so CPU dependent anyway (my current X850 is battling AI & scenery pretty well at least until I build).Curious to hear any realtime trench stories from those with either the 260/280 installed already . Read most of the reviews and comparisons to the mainstay 8800, and possible driver improvements down the road, etc., etc. Bottom line: Looking to build a new system around the beast card and appreciate the wisdom of the hands-on FS users here... Looking forward to flying the 747 through Crysis and check out the hits on FPS :-lolthanks,

Guest harleyman52

Everyone I know of that use it have it installed by DigitalStorm in their new systems,and the all rave over it...(them)Me thinks you're in for a surprize.....Many of them also SLI them(overkill IMO,unless resolutions are high),but hey...They get all the bragging rights.....One of the builders there,,,Kelly ... won Nvidias contest last month for SLI rig of the month......Full spread,whole nine yards...

Guest costone

Thanks for the tip on DigitalStorm. I see that my GTX question was already posted in a thread below.Regarding SLI: I doubt that my little old 12,000BTU air conditioner can even tame multiple links cooking away....(barbecue anyone?) I'd need to buy an ice maker just to house the tower! That appears to be the real 'Crysis' facing us simmers ahead :-lolBuilding around buss and clock speed seems to be the priority with constructing a new FS rig.

By the time you come around to installing it you'll probably find you can get the same card for considerably less.Why did you buy it now if you don't plan using it yet?Am interested how it goes myself as I want to upgrade my ATI x1950pro

Guest costone

Was planning to install the card into my XPS but quickly discovered that I needed an 8-pin adaptor for the card. So much for my advanced planning :-lol Apparently the XPS only has two 6-pin PCI connectors and the supplied GTX adaptors don't solve it. Quick trip to the store...But Plan B was to order my new twin-GTX 'Rig 'O Death' from Digital Storm over the holiday and then SLI the third card on arrival:(c&p'd from order below)Chassis: Digital Storm 950SiPower Supply: 1200W PC Power & Cooling (ESA Edition) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad QX9770 Extreme 3.20GHz (1600MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) System Memory: 4GB DDR3 Corsair at 1600MHz Dominator DHX Hard Drive 1: 1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA)Hard Drive 2: 500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA) Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB)Extreme Cooling: Liquid Chilled FrostBite CPU & Dual Video CardsModifications: LCD Temperature Display & Fan ControllerOf course at this expense, I plan on suspending the rig from my living room ceiling for all to see, and charge a much needed admission fee as a tour guide...Should I bump up to a 10k drive though??

Guest UlfB

Mike,That's a real mean FSX setup :-jumpy Do you plan to build yet another one when Intel releases the Nehalem cpu's?Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest costone

If I hit the Lottery...Been reading up on that new Intel bandwidth tech also. But you know that any hot new rig that you buy starts to depreciate like a satellite reentering the earth's atmosphere the very minute the UPS guy shows up at your door step.Meanwhile life goes on (and hopefuully our paychecks will too..). So I might not wait until winter for the Nehalem revolution to begin.

Guest harleyman52

costone...have you registered at the foruns at DS yet???As far as the Rartor @ 10,000 question...Yes......But wht in the world do you thing you need so much storage and 1st drive?I have 1 150 Raptor that holds my OS(vista 64) FSx acceleration..FSGenesis..GEX...UTX...FEX...MYTrafficX ..And ASX...And its pretty full but there is more left.....Plus I got an extra 150 Raptor to drop in.....My drive 2 is 250 gigs,and its barely touched except a complete backup of C/ drive in case.....and downloads and such.....You might think about 2 150 Raptors...as they are fast..maybe even Raid0 them

Guest costone

Yeah thanks, it only made sense to go for the Raptors with a Raid 0 config. I guess once I got past the cost of the processors and the two cards....the cost of drive storage didn't quite matter much! :-lol The 7200's would be like putting a V6 engine into a Ferrari chasis. Besides I already have two networked 500GB external books that I can dump onto jic.In the meantime I'm going to upgrade my XPS power supply so I can test drive the new card before the evil puppy arrives. Will be glad to let you know the results of my benchmarking with it since we seem to have similar FS add-ons...

Guest harleyman52

Please do...that would be cool.....

Guest UlfB

All new high end hardware is over priced. So was my X6800 10 months ago. So was my 8800GTX 10 months ago. Within a year that GTX 280 card won't be over priced any more. Some other card will.Latest high end hardware is never worth the money compared to performance, but it's a lot of more fun :-)Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest costone

Yeah, but so is my grocery bill....Guess I'll have to eat less and sim a lot more :-) . Let's just blame it on oil too...