Sign in to follow this  
JayDub

ATI 4850 and 4870 ...... Anyone Running Yet......

Good Day,Anyone running one of the new ATI 4850 or 4870 cards yet with FS9 or FSX.... Working up a new build for the next computer and would like to stay with ATI. I have had such outstanding performance from my last two cards a Radeon 9800 and a X850XT that I am hesitant to switch to the competition...... Both cards seem to be getting very good reviews but no indication of performance with Microsoft Flight Simulators...... Any info appreciated.....Thanks,JayDub

Guest SpeedBird192

I have the same question. About all I know is that nVidia's GTX 280 is a VERY BAD choice for FSX with a 30% frame rate loss compared to that aged 8800GTX Ultra.I'm probably going to go with two 4870's with an ASUS Rampage Formula motherboard. You will definitely want a motherboard based on the X48 chipset if you go with the 4870.I realize that FSX doesn't scale well with SLI or Crossfire due to the dated nature of it's engine, but I'm hoping even with just one 4870, it will out perform my 8800GTX OC. Fingers crossed.I have not seen ANY FSX results with the 4870 yet.Hope someone brings more info.

>I have the same question. About all I know is that nVidia's>GTX 280 is a VERY BAD choice for FSX with a 30% frame rate>loss compared to that aged 8800GTX Ultra.>>I'm probably going to go with two 4870's with an ASUS Rampage>Formula motherboard. You will definitely want a motherboard>based on the X48 chipset if you go with the 4870.>>I realize that FSX doesn't scale well with SLI or Crossfire>due to the dated nature of it's engine, but I'm hoping even>with just one 4870, it will out perform my 8800GTX OC. >Fingers crossed.>>I have not seen ANY FSX results with the 4870 yet.>>Hope someone brings more info.>Where did you read about the GTX280 being 30% less on FSX?______________Efrain RuizLiveDISPATCHhttp://www.livedispatch.orgCooler Master cosmos SDFI LP UT P35 T2R (3-17-2008 BIOS) | E8400 @ 4GHz (500MHz x 8) | 2 x 2GB OCZ Flex II PC9200EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 @ 738|1845|1150Two (2) WD3200AAKS 320GB (Operating System RAID-0) | Two (2) WD3200AAKS 320GB (Flight Simulator RAID-0)Corsair CM PSU-750TX | Asus 20X DVD

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Hi, I could test a 4850; my experience during two hours in FS9, Win XP Pro SP3 with E8500, 2 Gb , AUS P5E, Creative X-FI and the ATI Catalyst hotfix:-AA 4X and 8X, AFX16, 1600X1200X32.-Image quality, really superb.-Very, very smooth.-FPS outstanding, like the 9800GTX, which i own, or more. But the negative points, are:-The "old" fps performance hit , when the ac is between heavy clouds, and with the outside view selected, is very noticeable, like the predecessors...goes from 60 to 30 fps, and the other negative point is the lag bug when ALT key is pressed (another old bug, wich was solved ,some time ago with other older models).Finalyy is really , really hot, but not very loud.I tested the ASUS model and couldn

Guest djt01

>Where did you read about the GTX280 being 30% less on FSX?LOL, I like to know also.So far I

I just got my NEW GTX280 TODAY and after installing it and testing FSX, all I can say is: WOW!With my previous card (9800 GX2), I was getting too many micro stuttering and I had to play it in DX10 Preview Mode just so I could get better FPS. This meant that I had to live with just the 2XAA and taxi line flickering.After installing the GTX280, I flew a quick test circuit around the Richmond, VA area and I was totally impressed.Here are the settings I ran the card with: 16x AF, 8xS AA, SS transparency, FPS locked at 30, GEX, UTX and FEX SHD edition (4096 texture resolution) and ALL FSX settings to the right.I had never experienced FSX as smooth as it did on this test flight, with all the eye candy. No shimmering. No flickering. No stuttering.I can safely say that the GTX280, plus a PROPERLY TUNED SYSTEM (Such as explained by NickN), it is a winner.______________Efrain RuizLiveDISPATCHhttp://www.livedispatch.orgCooler Master cosmos SDFI LP UT P35 T2R (3-17-2008 BIOS) | E8400 @ 4GHz (500MHz x 8) | 2 x 2GB OCZ Flex II PC9200EVGA Nvidia GTX280Two (2) WD3200AAKS 320GB (Operating System RAID-0) | Two (2) WD3200AAKS 320GB (Flight Simulator RAID-0)Corsair CM PSU-750TX | Asus 20X DVD

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Guest djt01

>Here are the settings I ran the card with: 16x AF, 8xS AA, SS>transparency, FPS locked at 30, GEX, UTX and FEX SHD edition>(4096 texture resolution) and ALL FSX settings to the right.I

>>Here are the settings I ran the card with: 16x AF, 8xS AA,>SS>>transparency, FPS locked at 30, GEX, UTX and FEX SHD edition>>(4096 texture resolution) and ALL FSX settings to the right.>>>I

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Guest SpeedBird192

Here is a review on the GTX 280:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia...80,1953-15.htmlHere is a review on the 4850:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...50,1957-11.htmlNot going to get into a debate about Tom's Hardware as being a reliable source, since Phil Taylor has linked to Tom's it can't be that bad of a source.As you can see, the GTX 280 is behind even the 4850 and from what I've seen of the 4870 it's on par or better than the 8800GTX Ultra.So there ya have it, one 4870 is $299. One 8800GTX Ultra is $299. One GTX 280 is $650.I'm getting two 4870's even though FSX doesn't support SLI or Crossfire (in terms of better fps) because 4870's do work well with other games in crossfire (aka Crysis) and they support DX10.1 which the GTX 280 does not.

Guest djt01

>A bit off topic, but I just finished playing some Crysis and>wow, the fluidity of the game is simply amazing. I am>experiencing more FPS in the HIGH settings @ 1920 x 1200 but>the micro stutters are also gone and the game just plays so>smooth now. I really think that the full 1GB of video ram and>it's 512 bit bus are really starting to work it's magic.I haven

Guest djt01

>Not going to get into a debate about Tom's Hardware as being a>reliable source, since Phil Taylor has linked to Tom's it>can't be that bad of a source.>>As you can see, the GTX 280 is behind even the 4850 and from>what I've seen of the 4870 it's on par or better than the>8800GTX Ultra.LoL, I think you need to do a little more research and no, Tom

>>A bit off topic, but I just finished playing some Crysis>and>>wow, the fluidity of the game is simply amazing. I am>>experiencing more FPS in the HIGH settings @ 1920 x 1200 but>>the micro stutters are also gone and the game just plays so>>smooth now. I really think that the full 1GB of video ram>and>>it's 512 bit bus are really starting to work it's magic.>>>I haven

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Guest SpeedBird192

I can't find anything in all those links you posted regarding FSX testing? They all reference other games, but not FSX?I realize the GTX 280 appears to be great in other games (Crysis and others), but I was concerned with the GTX 280's 30% lower performance under FSX over an 8800GTX Ultra.The ONLY article I've see where the GTX 280 was tested with FSX has been at Tom's Hardware. I'm not saying Tom's is the most reliable source, but seeing as Phil Taylor references Tom's, it probably has some validity to their testing.Rob

Guest djt01

>I realize the GTX 280 appears to be great in other games>(Crysis and others), but I was concerned with the GTX 280's>30% lower performance under FSX over an 8800GTX Ultra.Did you notice what driver version Tom