Sign in to follow this  
Guest PowderBlue

Ok what now

Guest PowderBlue

Ok I'm trying to move back to windows vista home premium after dealing with ultimate 64 for a bit. After installing and doing windows update my computer won't start. When you shut it down after upgrade it says configing updates the shutingdown. It never shuts down. So I turn it off and it boots up until the point of the Microsoft screen with the scrolling load bar. The bar is not smooth it is interupted then starts and so on.Now after a system restore everything goes back to normal. After some investigating the details log in the recovery it said something about a system files integrity error and erroc code 0xa . Any help would be appreciated.

Guest firehawk44

I found the following possible solutions to your problem:http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BP...070928123.shtmlhttp://www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/a...00_-part-1.aspxhttp://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-...ss_or_equal.htmSince you just reinstalled Windows Vista and updates, I believe a device driver -- like your video card or sound card -- was not installed properly or completely. I would recommend completely uninstalling the video card first and reinstalling. Make sure the card is properly completely seated. While you're checking there, make sure the sound card is completely seated too and your memory modules. If it happens again, do the same with your sound card (uninstall/reinstall). Hope this helps.Jim

Guest harleyman52

Did you format your drive before you installed the 64?And at times windows takes a long time to shutdown or reconfigur after boot of major updates like SP'sAre you sure you gave it plenty of time to shut down? It can take 10 mins or so to do....

Guest PowderBlue

I found on Vista 64 that after a few months of use with uninstalling , working with files and so on that the OS got very unstable for me and at times I've been completely locked out twice. Without being able to system restore or fix from the install disk. Plus there are not to many great utilities for keeping vista 64 clean. Ashampoo is basic at best and avanquest and system mechanic both are not compat with 64. I let the computer try to shut down for over an hour as well as start up. I agree that it sounds and acts like some sort of device driver problem but I am showing no errors anywhere in device manager or within DX , no sound problems and so on. I found that the problem is related to an Update to Microsoft Vista not another Misc Update. All updates are installed so what Imight try is installing each vista update singlely and see which one causes the error. I also flashed my Bios and defaulted back on the bios and tried with no joy either. THanks for your help.

Guest PowderBlue

Also just in case you didn't know this isn't a blue screen error. Thanks

Guest harleyman52

Well that seems like a unstable system for some reason.....Memory going bad has been known to cause these type of problems too......

Guest D17S

I tend to agree. A switch to a 32bit op system might only coincidentally fix this instability.1) At the first sign of glitchy behavior, run Chkdsk. 2) Learn about the bootrec.exe functions available from Window' Repair Console. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/9273923) Always, -- Always -- keep a clone copy of the entire drive via Vista's system clone feature on a separate drive (Norton and Acronis have this same capability). Here's your recovery sequence> 1) chkdsk, 2) Vista's system restore, 3) bootrec functions. 4) If nothing works, Recover the entire (cloned) system from Window's (or Norton's of Acronis') boot-time disk's recovery feature. "Vista Manager" works fine for all those misc housekeeping tasks with my 64bit Vista install. This sequence has saved my bacon a couple of times. I have never completely lost the system (knock wood). Sure wish I could blame my troubles on the 64 bit-ness of this operating system, but frankly, generally, I done it.