Sign in to follow this  
nudata

PageFile=0 but continues to show PageFile Allocation ??

I was reminded of a process to defragment the Pagefile by setting it to none and rebooting setting it to system allocate and reboot. A Microsoft recommended process.Anyhow, when I set it to no page file on any of the three disks, and rebooted I continue to see the Task Manager showing PageFile allocation?? Looking at the disks via "explorer" there is no PageFile on any of the three. Memory use is normal for FSX and would be very noticeable if memory was actually used as a pagefile. FSX will take PageFile (PF) up to over 900mb at times when none is allocated???Windows XP/SP3 2gb memory 2.5ghz DualCorePictures - Task Manager and PageFile manager. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190468.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/190469.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest UlfB

Must be a labeling error. In my Vista Home Premium 32 the label is Physical memory usage, not Page File Usage. I guess that "Page File Usage" in this case covers both your physical and virtual memory and in your case you only have physical memory available.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

I have read about, and personally seen, WinXP systems in which page file usage was turned off on all drives, and yet WinXP created a page file by itself on the sysroot. This seems to correspond to the related behavior of when you move your page file to another physical drive--and yet Windows will STILL allocate a small page file on your C: drive.I was as perplexed as you are at the time. I would suppose that WinXP's virtual memory manager is taking matters into its own hands.Seems to me, off should mean off. :)I encourage you to do more research on it, but the above is my take on the whole thing.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest UlfB

Rhett,That would be a tiny swap file then. If you consider the graph, there is 897MB allocated and it seems to be exactly half of the available PF. So what do you think? Did XP create a 10MB swapfile on the disk? You must be kidding ;-) I don't believ there is any swapfile created by XP.Ulf B

Guest Nick_N

Page file in XP when shut down switches to PM and is not labeled correctly as suchYou are reading the load on PM, not the page file

>Rhett,>>That would be a tiny swap file then. If you consider the>graph, there is 897MB allocated and it seems to be exactly>half of the available PF. So what do you think? Did XP create>a 10MB swapfile on the disk? You must be kidding ;-) I don't>believ there is any swapfile created by XP.>>Ulf B>Not swap file, page file.Yes it could be as small as 10mb. And yes I have seen the XP OS do it, irregardless of what the dialog says. It's always on the system root (typically c:).RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I am not sure of the acronym "PM"? Does that mean that the paging function is being handled in main memory? If so the displayed memory allocation does not reflect that given that the displayed memory in use is a normal range for FSX with rural complexity scenery on my system. I did look at the C: drive, and others, and there was no indication of any "forced" pagefile being created. Now, having said all that Microsoft may do things in a "hidden" fashion that they feel the unwashed customers should not see! After some activities with allegedly no PageFile the only complaint was from PhotoShop warning me about no PageFile.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest UlfB

PM = Primary Memory, that is the physical memory available to the OS (any virtual memory excluded such as a swap file based memory on disk).Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32