Sign in to follow this  
Guest buzzthetower

Now which card Nvida 280 Or 4870

Guest buzzthetower

hey i am going to order a card for my new computer this weekend.. I just don't know what to go with. Do i stick with the cheaper ati 4870 or go for the Geforce 280. There is an overclocked version by ledtek that has pretty amazing ratings.http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....s)%20-%20RetailI have a p45 board, so crossfire in the future and now isn't an option. Neither is cost if i am going to have the card for more than a year. I would love to wait until the real nvida ati battle starts when the ati*2 card is realised but i can't..Also i went a bit crazy and bought a 26" hd monitor.. so i would like it to run well..Regards. ps this my first post, and a welcome back to fs for me after a long stay away so be kind with all my smelling mistakes.:) TJ

I would stay away from the GTX280Overpriced.4870 seems better value.If price isn't a concern why not go for two 4870's in Crossfire?Alternatively two 4850's in crossfire would be cheaper than the above and better than a single 4870.

Guest firehawk44

I would get the 4870. Excellent reviews all over the place via Google search. Plus, we can't allow ATI/AMD to go out of business and leave NVIDIA as the only choice. Competition keeps prices down and NVIDIA saw ATI stuggling a little the past year or two with the AMD takeover and raised prices to an insane level for their many products. So, get two if you can afford them and run them in SLI mode as many suggest in forums through Google searches.Welcome back to FS!Jim

Guest djt01

> I just don't know what to go with. Do i stick with>the cheaper ati 4870 or go for the Geforce 280. It

Guest ziporama

4870 based on my own cost benefit analysis.Etienne

If you don't mind driver issues but want better performance, grab the GTX 280. If you don't want driver problems for a little less performance grab the 4870. After all the trouble I've been having with Nvidia drivers, for the first time in my life I'm feeling like I should have gone for an ATI.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest djt01

>If you don't mind driver issues but want better performance,>grab the GTX 280. What driver issues? I

Allow me to correct myself, I should say if you don't mind a higher risk of getting driver issues, grab the GTX.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

Guest D17S

Risk? It's real.With the GTX200's Vista64 bit driver: 1) My 2nd Vcard is disabled. The 2 additional monitors that have been successfully supported by my 8800GT's driver are now blank. BFG states "This feature is not supported." Really? Not for long I hope. 2) Vista's Sleep function is disabled. Vista's powercfg (monitor) states, "See Vdriver vendor for updated driver." Soon? 3) Window mode cuts frame rates by 75%. Full screen is OK. but I get pretty lost without my charts up on my (now) 3 dead monitors!

Guest djt01

>Allow me to correct myself, I should say if you don't mind a>higher risk of getting driver issues, grab the GTX.I

>Risk? It's real.>>With the GTX200's Vista64 bit driver: >>1) My 2nd Vcard is disabled. The 2 additional monitors that>have been successfully supported by my 8800GT's driver are now>blank. BFG states "This feature is not supported." Really? Not>for long I hope. >>2) Vista's Sleep function is disabled. Vista's powercfg>(monitor) states, "See Vdriver vendor for updated driver.">Soon? >>3) Window mode cuts frame rates by 75%. Full screen is OK. but>I get pretty lost without my charts up on my (now) 3 dead>monitors!>> Are you referring to FSX?

Guest D17S

1 & 2 are the system. 3 is with FSX. Don't have 9 installed ATM. Full screen runs like the 8800GT. Honestly can't tell a difference.

Guest djt01

>3) Window mode cuts frame rates by 75%. Full screen is OK. but>I get pretty lost without my charts up on my (now) 3 dead>monitors! I can

Guest D17S

CoD and Crysis run fine. I'm now able to actually shoot those weird-flying-squid-things in High. The system's a Q6600@3.6+4Gs. I expect the mechanical install and driver load is not an issue. The default airplanes always had frames beyond any LoC (level of Concern). I generally lock frames. However clouds at 50FPS vs Clouds at 75FPS would not be a helpful improvement. I like to descend through layers into Cat3c approaches with - the works- with the PMDG 744 in FS9, but FSX makes these weather settings unflyable. The GTX did not help. However if this ATI X2 comes along as expected, the 200s might just get a run for their money. If they can get these driver issues fixed, a GTX260 at $250 might just be a keeper. So far though, I'm not willing to give up soo much go gain a little Farcry blasting satisfaction. http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/translate_u...2Cnews-596.html

Guest djt01

>However if this ATI X2 comes along as expected, the 200s might>just get a run for their money. If they can get these driver>issues fixed, a GTX260 at $250 might just be a keeper. I