Sign in to follow this  

After about 30 minutes of trying, I have only been able to get my computer working again and get online. Basically, it would seem to boot normally, even to the desktop screen. But, any attempt to get any app to work met with a lockup. I was not even able to shut down normally. I began thinking about overheating...at the moment, according to my core temperature monitor...my four cores are at 56 56 63 and 67 Celsius.But, before I was able to get on, I could not even get into safe mode. The boot screen would come up OK, and I could scroll to select SafeMode...but, in the course of booting into SM, the system reverted bck to the start of the bootup sequence. Finally, I took a look at my memory sticks, which are warm to the touch. Is that normal? And, finally, has anyone had a similar problem, i.e. inability to boot into safe mode? Comments, suggestions welcome. thanks for reading and considering...Sherm

Guest firehawk44

Not an overheating problem but possibly problems with the memory modules. Recommend you test your memory modules. CPU's are made to withstand extreme temps. You might Google your CPU and check the specs. Or simply search for "core temperatures". You can also search "core temperatures for XXXX cpu" (i.e., QX9770 cpu). You should find out if your cores are getting too hot.Best regards,Jim

>>After about 30 minutes of trying, I have only been able to get>my computer working again and get online. Basically, it would>seem to boot normally, even to the desktop screen. But, any>attempt to get any app to work met with a lockup. I was not>even able to shut down normally. I began thinking about>overheating...at the moment, according to my core temperature>monitor...my four cores are at 56 56 63 and 67 Celsius.>>But, before I was able to get on, I could not even get into>safe mode. The boot screen would come up OK, and I could>scroll to select SafeMode...but, in the course of booting into>SM, the system reverted bck to the start of the bootup>sequence. Finally, I took a look at my memory sticks, which>are warm to the touch. Is that normal? And, finally, has>anyone had a similar problem, i.e. inability to boot into safe>mode? Comments, suggestions welcome. thanks for reading and>considering...>Sherm>>Your core temps seem ok, it could be your Video Card. Have you been Overclocking? If so, try dialing it back.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I made some changes in the bios related to overclocking. That seems to have solved the problem. If nothing else, this prompted me to do a fresh backup...now underway as I type this. Thanks to all who helped.Sherm

Guest JIMJAM

My solution.Screw driver and remove side of case.Small fan at Walmart, 8 dollars.DoneBTW- I have the Zalman fan,heatsink,but the 8800gt and the newer ones crank out the heat. I saw a small AC unit at Walmart that was about 2 x 2 ft for just over $100.Hmmmmmm

You could try 'clearing/discharging' the BIOS and setting it up again. Re-seat all components.Possibly try another power supply.Are all your memory sticks exactly the same?Are you using the lasted BIOS release for your motherboard?

power supply is an Antec 650 Watts... should be ample enough...there are two smaller 8mm fans installed in the back of my case. MY CPU is a Q6600 and mobo is Asus P-5KE wi-fi (though I do not use wifi). Allmem sticks are the same, all from Crucial...as I say, I reseated them and adjusted OC in my bios. Someone mentioned adjusting the V1. what would be proper V1 so that I could OC to 300 ghs, instead of the default 240g? Thanks...Sherm