Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Out of Memory - any more advice on the old chestnut?

Hey Martin, sorry to hear your troubles are still brewing.As posted above, your additional video card is whats eating your VA.As explained by Phil Taylor your VA is limited to 4GB no matter what your hardware is. If your giving 25% of that to your video cards I would be willing to bet you won't see an OOM error again.The 3GB fix has cured them for me. I could never do a flight longer than 1.5 hours or I was sure to get them. Now I have been flying legs that I would never have dreamed of before. KSEA - KBOS and EGLL - KORD for example. Using the PMDG 747, UT and payware addon airports. Something I could only dream of before I leanred this little hack.Only catch is I cannot use AES with the 3GB fix. It's a known problem that Oliver is still trying to wrap a fix around. I know you are part of that thread as well but I'll link it for others who may be having problems>>>http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=17418As suggested above I vote you should remove one of your crads and start with 2560 and see how that goes.

Thanks for the replies folks.I did already post some time ago (I think to a forum such as Aerosoft's, or similar, given that most 'respectable' payware scenery developers also put landclass bgls into their main scenery folder: it was hard to believe that they were making a mistake in doing this) about whether I should let FS Manager relocate all my LC files: I do have all files specifically labelled LC, or otherwise known to be LC files, in separate folders - without a texture folder, though there are, I know, many which are not easy to identify as such from their names alone. The concensus (from Aerosoft, UK200, or whoever I posted to) was a clear 'no, it's not necessary' - can't quite recall why. So I didn't do it. I will try this now, though I am still a bit unhappy about moving files from some of my payware scenery folders.(I did post a link here to RunAsDate myself a few months ago BTW - may be you got it from me David? :-) It's certainly very useful).Will also try (if the LC option doesn't help) disabling one of my graphics cards and reinstating the /3GB switch: I have the patched FS9.exe backed up somewhere.It may take a while to get any worthwhile results, but I'll post back when I do. As someone noted in one of these OoM threads, sudden 'cures' have often proved not to be so after a day or two, so I want to give any changes I might a proper work through before posting back to say something worked. If I ever get to that stage, of course..Martin

.. and yes, I'd forgotten. The /3GB tweak scuppers my AES installation, so until Oliver finds a solution to that I'd not be too happy about reinstating it.

The post I referred to above is here. Mathijs says that there have never been any reported problems due to Aerosoft including its landclass files in the main scenery folder: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?sh...557entry86557As far as I recall the problem of memory drainage with landclass files is only when there is an empty texture folder, or the texture folder does not contain any bitmaps included in the landclass bgl file text. No?Martin

More! The extract below sort of explains the landclass situation I think (taken from Flightsim Manager help file).Flightsim Manager locates a huge number of Landclass bgls (2162 to be precise!) in my FS9 setup, but since I only ever have the scenery areas active in FS that are relevant to my current flight, they cannot be causing problems even if there are any 'rogue' files present. For instance, I flew EGPF to EGLL yesterday and got an OoM crash just before landing. The only LC active was Ultimate Terrain Europe, plus some other specific UK LC files which are in a separate scenery folder with no texture folder associated.Reckon I should go on and try the single graphics card option now, but if anyone has any further comments re. landclass...----------------------------------------------"LandClass File: .. this file is to replace the default terrain. The terrain engine will by default search for its landclass textures in the companion texture subfolder. If it finds none, it will use the terrain textures located in the default sceneryworldtexture folder. However, the memory consumed by this search will not be released.If you must install landclass files to a custom location, create ONLY a scenery subfolder. That way the terrain engine will not search for something that doesn't exist--a companion texture subfolder. Instead it will go directly to the default terrain texture subfolder and will not consume memory".

<>Sorry to demolish another myth - Just had one 3 days ago.3Gb switch installed correctly, 2Gb RAM, Single 8800GT card, etc.Spent 2 days checking FS9 but couldn't find anything wrong. ReinstalledFS9 last night.Regards

I didn't manage to finish my test flight (something came up in the real world!) but half-way through it, with only one graphics card (no /3GB switch) my RAM usage was just the same as yesterday when I ran the same flight with two cards active, about 70%. Once near a main airport that's going to go up, and then we all know what happens.M.

Please stop spreading false information: dual graphics cards do NOT cause OOM errors! I am running dual graphics cards (ATI HD3870s) in Cross-Fire X with a total of 2GB of video memory and 4 GPUs and have never, EVER had an OOM error. The issue is 90% usually attributed to an addon causing the OOM. You have 1 of 2 choices. 1. Move to a 64-bit OS which can handle more memory space therefore having the ability to handle the problem with one of your addons, or, 2. find and isolate the addon causing the problem.There is no need to disable a video card for any reason except a bad video card.

I don't think he was saying that two video cards per se cause OoMs on all PCs. And several other people have told me the same thing over the past few days. I am sure by the way that half the stuff on this site is 'false information' - people think they have a solution and it turns out not to be so. Whatever you read on a forum like this has to be treated with some scepticism even though it's posted with the best possible intentions. Much of it is spot on, but no use getting tetchy if something proves not to be so. :-)As it is, I've reinstated my 2nd. card - made no difference whatsoever, as you rightly say it wouldn't. I can't see any problems now software wise, so 64-bit may be something to consider now. The general advice I have received on this is get Vista 64, not XP as the latter is not going to be supported much longer (so no new hardware drivers will appear for one thing). Seems reasonable, even though I had XP installed on my latest (FS-dedicated) machine rather than Vista 32. You agree?Thanks,Martin

>.. and yes, I'd forgotten. The /3GB tweak scuppers my AES>installation, so until Oliver finds a solution to that I'd not>be too happy about reinstating it.What I do to work around the AES with /3GB problem, is to start the flight at a AES enabled airport and start the flight. Then I switch over to my real departure airport.AES only seemed to crash in my case when departing from a non AES enabled airport to a AES enabled airport. Since always starting at a AES airport, I haven't had anymore crashes.

It won't hurt to move the LC files from the payware scenery folder to a separate folder. As long as you have you landclass folder in FS9's scenery.cfg (as a layer), FS9 will pick it up. It doesn't care where the file is to read it. And you will know for sure that the LC files are not causing your crash.My LC folder has landclass files from hundreds of freeware and several payware sceneries...they all have their own file name, so there are no conflicts...and I've never encountered a problem with FS9 finding them.It's worth a try...it separates your LC files...and it doesn't harm your scenery as long as you assign a layer to the LC Scenery folder. (FlightSim Manager should do this for you automatically).Devin

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Martin:I'm not a big proponent of going with a 64-bit OS to fix FS :-) because the cause is usually fixable without such a drastic measure. BUT, it most *cases* it does fix the issue (but in a few cases lately it does not), albeit, make sure you verify that everything you have hooked up to your rig has 64-bit drivers because 32-bit drivers will absolutely not work.Regards,Mike T.

Yes, I could move all the landclass files to my 'main' landclass folders, it would do no harm as you say. Worth a try.Starting at an AES airport doesn't always work, especially on longer flights, as Oliver indicated in one of the threads on the Aerosoft site, as AES will eventually unload itself from memory (though maybe this hasn't been your experience?). For shorter flights it is a possible workaround.My main reason for not using the /3GB switch is that, at all userva settings, I get very blurred textures which won't resolve themselves. No idea why, something to do with my PC setup no dubt.Not sure why AVSIM have moved this to the hardware forum BTW as the OoMs are surely not basically a hardware issue..Martin

Is FlightSim Manager still available for download? I have been getting a number of OOM errors lately and have a feeling it is due to some new scenery that was recently added... this tool sounds like it would help to investigate.