Just wondering if anyone has installed the SP3 for XP? I did and found that when I put my machine on standby and went to run anything using my video card, I could not go to full screen. Checked it out with the MS update site and I guess it's been a problem. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

yes i have installed it on 3 machines with no prob, but apparently some dell and i think hp have isues with it. my dad also installed it on his with no issues.

Guest ziporama

Works well. THe latest DNS patch however didn't help a bit and trashed my software firewall for which there is still no update.XP SP3 is a go for FSX.

Guest belga1

Hello,my software firewall for which there is still no update.I read many about a connection crash with ZonealarmIf this is your case Zonealarm provide a patch from days ago.Dunno if this will help you either.Cheers.

Phrased another way- is there any reason why XP SP3 SHOULD be installed?Might it do more harm than good?I tend to go by the slogan- "if it ain't broke- don't fix it".Alex Reid

I'd say only if reinstalling XP from new - integrating SP3 into your install disc is tons quicker than downloading all the fixes post SP2. There are suggestions that can speed up XP slightly, but I've not seen that to any significant degree.Leo Godalming UKhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMSI P6N PlatinumXFX GeForce 512MB 8800 GTSQuad Core E6600 @2.4GHz3GB Corsair PC2-6400WD 250GB for Flight SimHitachi Deskstar 500GB - Dedicated FSXP, Regular XP and Vista

Louise

London, UK

Leo- thanks for replying- I have all the XP updates which come out every week or so. But in addition to including "all previously released updates" this "Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience".That sounds a little ominous to me. Nothing like a bit of planned degradation to encourage customers to buy the latest product. Think I'll skip SP3- how do I delete the little yellow shield on my task bar?Alex Reid

Yup, those small updates are, AFAIK, under the bonnet security changes, and really only affect computers in a domain scenario. The yellow shield is usually there to tell you that updates are either downloading, or have downloaded and are ready to install. If you right click on it, what does it say/show? Leo Godalming UKhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMSI P6N PlatinumXFX GeForce 512MB 8800 GTSQuad Core E6600 @2.4GHz3GB Corsair PC2-6400WD 250GB for Flight SimHitachi Deskstar 500GB - Dedicated FSXP, Regular XP and Vista

Louise

London, UK

Leo- right clicking on the yellow shield brings up a sub panel called-"Automatic Updates" - "Choose Updates to Download". The only item available there is "Windows XP SP3"- which I don't want. I can't find any way to get rid of the Yellow Shield short of downloading SP3- which I don't intend doing.Bill Gates is certainly persistent!Alex Reid

I just went through the SP3 debacle. FS would not run. everything else is ok. Still wnted updates but not SP3. Uninstalled SP3 - all better. Found this at MS http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...&displaylang=enIf the link above doesn't work search MS dowloads for "Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit":-) Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks Roman- the link worked OK but my brain doesn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. I get all sweaty just reading tech stuff like that! Nice to know that MS provided an out for PHDs in Computer Science.Guess I'll just leave the yellow shield there to remind me how old I am!Alex Reid5 minutes later. Ha! discovered Automatic Updates in Control Panel- clicked "Turn Off Automatic Updates". Bingo, problem solved- no more yellow shield!

Turning off auto updates will turn off the yellow shield -- BUT.. now you're going to get a red shield telling you that it is turned off!It's pretty easy.. Just use the SPBlockingTool.exe. It will set the key for blocking until the expiration -- mine is 4/09To unblock for any reason use regedit and delete the key -HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdateThe .cmd file is for comand line.. couldn't get it to work. could'nt find my computer..:-(The .adm file is for administrators spawning the patch through multiple computers. RomanProud "TEAM AVSIM" RTW race member.

Roman- Nope, no red shield here!!!!! And no yellow one either!Alex Reid

Lucky you :-) -->> Mine did,, BTW did you reboot? Anyway applied the blocker patch and 2 updates showed with no SP3..... YEH!! You see my issue here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=41550&page=I'll keep puttin in updates till I find the one that screws my FS -- Then SP3, Then modify it!! Happy retirement Bill !!! Now I know where to find you !!! LOL :-) RomanProud "TEAM AVSIM" RTW race member.

Yep- no SP Shield- yellow, red or otherwise after a couple of reboots.Only items on taskbar are icons for the Printer, AVG antivirus,Volume and the Time.Alex Reid