Sign in to follow this  
Guest lburn

Second graphics card problem

Guest lburn

Hello,When I add a second graphics card to drive a third monitor, FSX will not load. Gives me error message:"Graphics card does not meet requirements for shader support.Requires Geforce 3 or better graphics card"Nvidia 8800GT, 512mb in first PCIE 16x slot.Nvidia 7950GT, 512mb in second PCIE 16x slot. Non SLIIt works with FSX RTM. Problem with FSX sp2.Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you,Larry B.Foxconn CS1XEM2AA MotherboardAMD FX-62 DualCore 2.8G CPU4G DDR2 Corsair MemoryGeforce 8800GT 512mb Graphics CardGeForce 7950GT 512mb Graphics Card2 160G SATA DrivesAntec P180 water cooled caseDVD Drive22" Samsung Widescreen Monitor2ea 19" Viewsonic Monitors

Guest lburn

Thanks for the quick reply Jim.Yes my 7950GT is not DX10 compatible.I have ordered a DX10 compatible board today from newegg.Great Forum.Larry B.

Guest D17S

FS(X) does not require a DX10 card. It'll run fine on a DX9er.Here's what might be going on: With dual cards and multi-monitors, FS likes to run on your primary monitor. Try this: Go into Nvidia's control panel and select one of the 8800GT driven monitors as your primary. Select All monitors to their default resolutions. You can drag them around to get them in the proper order. Now delete your FSX.cfg file. Fire up FSX. Your FSX.cfg will rebuild and bring FS up on your primary monitor. Go into FS settings and select your primary monitor's default resolution. Go windowed, full screen, or whatever you want, - but Leave FS on your primary monitor - .Fly.FS will put up a Major battle if you try to run it on other than your primary monitor at its default resolution. If you want it any other way, prepare for battle, or just give up now. FS will win this war.

Guest lburn

Sam,Have selected primary monitor on the 8800GT.Have deleted FSX config file.FSX still gives me the error and will not load.FSX config file contains only one line."SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432"Larry

you're not running FSX in DX10 mode right?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest lburn

No, Directx 10 preview is unchecked in display settings.Larry

Guest D17S

The FSX.cfg file you are looking for will have over 100 text lines of entries.In Vista, check in the directory: Users > %you% > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > FSXThe one you want is in this dir. Look for it there. Go ahead and try the drill with the correct .cfg file. If you deleted some other file, be suspicious of the install. I really don't know what symptoms deleting some other .cfg might cause.

Guest lburn

Yes I know where the correct config file is located.My config file does normally have more than 100 lines in it.However, now when I delete the config file and let FSX rebuild a new one, there is only one line in it.

Guest firehawk44

"FS(X) does not require a DX10 card. It'll run fine on a DX9er." Sam, I assume you were responding to my post when you made the above comment. We all know FSX will run great using DX10 and DX9 but how will it run with one video card that is DX10 compatible and one that is only DX9 compatible? The display driver is probably looking for the same shader version hardware in each card to run the application (or something like that). So, if you're running multiple monitors using two different video cards, then I think they should both be DX10 compatible or DX9 compatible and not mixed or you're asking for troubles. I see in your response you may have discovered this since you state FS will put up a major battle if you try to run it on other than your primary monitor at its default resolution and will win the battle. Maybe not as you do not indicate using multiple monitors with several different video cards. I personally think we need to answer the original question he had about using a second graphics card and not worry about his FSX config. I don't think the FSX config is the problem based on the error messages he's receiving.Best regards,Jim

Guest D17S

I agree. I had an 8800GT and an 8400GS. I also considered using different series card a potential problem. That's why I got the $20 8400GS to drive my 3rd and 4th monitors. I tried using an ATI with an Nvidia at one point and that gained a net-sum-nuttin'. However if games explode when different series Vcards are installed in the same box, then I say shame on Nvidia . . . but here we are. I doubt though, that this is an FS issue or has anything to do with the DXness of the cards. In this kind of a setup, the game is running on a single monitor, a single card and (thereby) the second card is not a factor . . . at least relative to the game.Give the .cfg trick a good try before you spend any $$$. But if that doesn't work, you might consider getting a super cheapo 8 series card. As I said, my 8400GS works like a charm.BTW, the new GTX200 series disables any second non-SLI vcard. I'm running one now and it also disables Vista's sleep function. "These features are not supported," says BFG. Really!? Unless these problems get fixed soon, this looooser is going back. edit:My config file does normally have more than 100 lines in it.However, now when I delete the config file and let FSX rebuild a new one, there is only one line in it.Then something's broke. You are going to have reinstall the game.

Guest lburn

When I remove the second card FSX loads and runs fine.I ordered a 8600GT and will install it and see if this fixes the problem.If not I will reinstall FSX.

Just out of curiosity, what is the effect on performance from adding a second video card, or from utilizing the second video output from an existing card?Thanks, Bruce.

Guest D17S

None, from either with the default airplanes However window'd vs full screen costs a couple of FPS with the PMDG airplane. Don't know if that's multimonitor related or not. However the GTX200s will not recognize a 2nd Vcard and costs 75% for anything in window'd mode.

Bruce- I'm running with a "Dual Head GeForce FX5200 card plus a same type PCI card- all powered by a vintage AMD XP2200 1.8 processor.This cofig drives a triple monitor setup- 2 old CRTs plus an LCD.Adding a second view (ie View Fwd Right) drops FPS about 33%. Adding a third view (View Fwd Left) drops FPS to approx 50% of single view.2D main panel and most popups such as Throttle/ CDU etc cost very little in FPS- except large/complex popups like Overhead or COM which typically have a heavy penalty. Generally I keep all popups displayed at all times except these last two exceptions- which are undocked/sized/positioned then minimized & clicked open as needed.While 33 & 50% drops in FPS may seem serious, consider that there are now up to 3 times as many pixels being generated- with only a 50% FPS drop. The result is FS9 48" wide, spanning a 150