Sign in to follow this  
remind

Video card errors Vista Sp1 and FSX

Hi all,The last two drivers from Nvidia I have used, yes improvment in performance and frame rates in FSX sp2 Acc Dx10Drivers are versions 175.16 and 175.19With either of these installed FSX will crash in full screen mode, may not happen straight away, could be 10 minutes into game running, but if I load a new flight or afct or switch back to my desktop and then go back to full screen mode, it will crash.Windows says it is a Blue Screen error although I don't even see a blue screen, just blanks creen and I can hear the sounds from FSX still running.With 175.19 installed, this kept coming upDriver display nvlddmkm stopped responding and has been restarted.Only way to stop this error is a windows reboot.Pre SP1 of Vista this never happened. I did a fresh install the other week of Vista etc and problem has not gone away.I know there is a debate going on about the 175 rivers in another post, but nothing about a Blue Screen error.Thanks PhilMy systemDell XPS 710Quad core 66004gb 667Nvidia 8800 GTX 756mbVista 32bit SP1FSX Sp2 with Acc and running in DX10 preview mode.

175.19 driver did exactly what you described whether in windowed mode or full screen. Went back to 175.16 and runs well in windowed mode, I haven't tried full screen with 175.16 but will now do so.I have the nVidia 8800 GTX 320

I had the exact same error with 175.19 with Vista64 and BFG 8800GTX. "Display driver has stopped and has been restarted"I went back to 169.xx and everything is great.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest firehawk44

The "display driver has stopped responding" is a common error. Nvidia "fixed" the problem around with the release of the 162.xx drivers and long before the release of Vista SP1. There were several MS hotfixes issued to resolve the problem and Nvidia use to list those hotfixes on their driver download page. I don't see them there anymore but you have Vista w/SP1 installed so all of those hotfixes should have been automatically installed. Like you, I began to get the "display driver has stopped responding" message especially when going back to the desktop. It occurred occasionally when going into windowed mode then back to full screen too. I opined it was a memory issue of some sort. For my /3GB switch I used bcdedit to increaseuserva to 3072 (I have the same basic system as you except I have 2 8800 GTX's in SLI mode each with 768MB memory (I also have the Dell XPS 720H2C). I decided to lower this memory allocation to 2560 as recommended by many users on this forum and by Phil Taylor over at the MS Aces Team. Since doing that, I rarely see the error message. I also have virtual memory management set at "System Managed". So that pretty much fixed the problem for me and I hope it's permanent as it was a frustrating issue. BTW, I have the latest and greatest display drivers installed. Hope this helps to resolve your problem.Best regards,Jim

I started having the same error with 175.19 with Vista64 and an EVGA 800GTX SC. "Display driver has stopped and has been restarted"I have since reverted back to 175.16 with Vista64. Kind of a bummer, I really liked the graphical quality of the 175.19 drivers.

Thanks to all for replies.Yes I do have the hotfixes install, been quite a few of them since SP1.I'll check out Nvidia page re these hotfoxes to make sure I have them al installed. I hope I can fix this as the 175 drivers so far have given me the best performance and look of FSX yet! As for lowing memorty allocaiton hmm, I think I know how to do that, that was one thing I noticed when I did my fresh install of Vista and everything, Windows update did not find the SP1 and I had to download it as a stand alone download. That is fine.But the perforamnce score in Vista for my memory score is 5.0Before it was 5.1And on my XPS laptop which basically is same hardware etc except has one a duel core and newer cpu, as I only bought that two months ago, it has the same ram in it and amount of ram and it's score is 5.1I don't see how Vista can give two different ram memory scores, but I guess that is a minor problem.Anyway I'll check out all suggested and see how I go and get back post back.CheersPhil

Guest firehawk44

"As for lowing memorty allocaiton hmm, I think I know how to do that,"Phil,To make sure we are on the same page regarding memory allocation I discussed earlier, you should do a search on the FSX Forum for an excellent article by Bill Leaming entitled, ""OOM Error" explained in comprehensible English". This will explain in detail how to use the /3GB switch I was talking about."But the perforamnce score in Vista for my memory score is 5.0Before it was 5.1"You might check your virtual memory performance settings and make sure it is set to "System Managed" size (System Properties>Advanced Tab>Performance Settings>Advanced Tab>Virtual memory>Change). I think System Managed works the best but sometimes people set up their own sizes. You might also make sure your harddrive is defragged, especially since installing FSX as FSX throws files all over the hard drive. A defrag will bring this files back into order, not only for FSX but for your system files too. In any case, the small performance drop is nothing significant.Best regards,Jim

Hi Phil,1) Do you run FSX and Vista with the same screen resolution? If not, you should!2) Try auto-hiding the taskbar.3) With DX10 run FSX in full screen mode

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest in_04

Hi,may sound stupid, but try to lower the core frequency of the 8800 GTX.I got the stopped working error too and tried several drivers.If I lower the core frequency from 550 too 500 MHz the DX10 preview runs for hours.Strange point is that in DX10 mode the graphic card didn't get as hot as in DX9 mode.I also get "heating(?)" errors in Call of Juarez. The error occurred after longer playing and corrupt also the Vista error view.My guess is that the 8800 and the 9800 have a DX10 hardware bug and getting hot in a specified area of the chip. Such hot spots are common and if you really want to test GPU or CPU you must try to get the hot spot hot. This is what prime do for the CPU, because the floating point path is the hot spot path of CPUs.If you google around you will find that many Nvidia 8800 users get nvlddmkm stopped errors in DX10 games. For me it is a clear sign of overheating hardware error.Currently thinking about a ATI card, but my workaround save me the 250 bucks.Just my 2 cents

Thanks guysJim, re memory, score was 5.1 before fresh isntallaiton of everythingI know what your on about with memory allocation, (been trying to sort that out on our work server, but that is another issue.)David I think you may of hit the nail on the head, screen resoltuon, ever since refresh insatll, FSX has been lower display resoltion than desktop. In the past I have had both FSX and Vista in same resoltiuion.I'll test that out now and advise.As for core / heating problems, one cannot rule anything out, but I doubt that would be it,still one never knowsCheersPhil

Please report back Phil :--)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Hi allWell as drivers were not letting FSX fully load into a flight, this is version 175.16 and 19I decided to delete the fsx.cfg file and let FSX create a new one.Now this worked fine with drivers 175.16 and even for a little while with 175.19, but try and go from non full window mode back to full window mode and driver 175.19, I get that same message above it stopped and restarted, however to get FSX to load again, I have to reboot Vista.Jim, re your post about this driver stopped message, I don

>Hi all>>Well as drivers were not letting FSX fully load into a flight,>this is version 175.16 and 19>>I decided to delete the fsx.cfg file and let FSX create a new>one.>Now this worked fine with drivers 175.16 and even for a little>while with 175.19, but try and go from non full window mode>back to full window mode and driver 175.19, I get that same>message above it stopped and restarted, however to get FSX to>load again, I have to reboot Vista.>Jim, re your post about this driver stopped message, I don

Guest firehawk44

"Jim, re your post about this driver stopped message, I don

Same here with my 8800 GT, except now Train Sim gives me a BSOD everytime I play it thanks to the display driver. I hope to get an ATI by the end of the year.

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD