Sign in to follow this  
shorthaul16

HD 4870 more or less random reboots

I have upgraded my hardware from an old 8800 GTS 640MB to the Radeon and have been running into these problems.I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same? It happens exclusively in FSX and on multiple instances.-when using switches in 2d Panels-after tinkering with settings during flight (graphics or other - does not matter).From the looks of it I would see the problem during som kind of "initialisation" process of the GFX card.I think I remember this behaviour from an old x1950 pro, but I am not sure.Yes, I did get rid of the old drivers, and I started with a fresh fsx.cfg.System Specs:-Intel e6600@stock (2,4GHz), -Asus P5B, latest BIOS Rev.-2GB RAM (2x 1GB Geil PC 800)-MSI HD4870 OC Edition, Cat 8.6 drivers + Hotfix-900W BeQuiet PSU-XP Pro sp3-FSX + Acceleration-ASX-X-Graphics-MyTraffic X-Vancouver +

Guest GabeThePilot

I started having crashes under similar situations after upgrading to FSX SP2...I ended up doing a complete reinstall. I know the new Radeons are having teething troubles - later drivers should fix them.Nice system BTW, altohugh overclocking that Quad to 3GHz will almost increase your framerates by 50 %.

It was due to driver troubles alright, but not the Catalyst Drivers but my Saitek drivers were out of date.The dumpfiles showed that they were the culprit.After updating the drivers everything seems to be OK here. Although I have not done any long flying, FSX does not crash on me when I try to change the weather or just open a menu.

Guest GabeThePilot

That reminds me of problems I had when I didn't delete ALL the joystick settings in FSX itself...apart from the Hat - panning function.With an X52 on the go, there were often conflicts and that caused a lot of problems.Glad you sorted it.

Hi there Shorthaul,I have just bought a HD4870, have not had the crashes you have been experiencing but I cannot seem to get VSYNC to work, always constant "tearing" of the screen and that is with the framelock set at 25fps.Does VSYNC work ok with you?

I've always left VSYNC off in the ATI Drivers and did not notice tearing as of yet. I have not locked the framerate though in FSX.What are your system specs and what is the resolution of your monitor for FSX?

Looks like Vista is to blame then.AFAIK, Vista does not suport VSYNC on the Driver level, so unless the application has the ability to do VSYNC, it won't work out of the box.ATI Tray tools may help, but its still beta for the 48.. Series:See ATT FAQ over at Guru3DThere are some success stories so maybe you might want to give it a shot.