Sign in to follow this  
spilok

NVidia fan..what's the best out there?

What, in your opinion, fellow simmers, is the very best Video Card out there for FSX? I am an NVidia fan, and I currently have the 8800GT. However, I'm in the mood to upgrade. Is the 9800 the best there is right now?

Guest ziporama

It seems the 8800 Ultra is still a great performer, if not the best current performer out there for FSX if you follow (and give credibility) to benchmarks on the web. The 280GTX is the current flagship at NVidia (this will probably change in the next five minutes) and reportedly isn't quite as good for FSX as the 8800 Ultra. Drivers may not be very mature for these cards.Unfortunately, it doesn't appear tweaking FPS for FSX is at the top of the list for the graphics card industry. Keep in mind high end cards function well only if the rest of the system can keep up with them and in particular, keep up with the flow of data to use the massive computing power. A very fast card on a slower CPU/memory combination may not do you any favors, especially in a demanding app like FSX.Etienne

Thanks for the response.Stan

Guest djt01

>The 280GTX is the current flagship at NVidia (this will probably >change in the next five minutes) and reportedly isn't quite as good>for FSX as the 8800 Ultra. With the 177.41

Guest jbinner

I have a 9800 GTX I am very happy with. Runs FSX like a champ for me. My overall specs are below.

Guest djt01

>I have a 9800 GTX I am very happy with. Other than the narrower bus on the 9800 (possibly choking with heavy weather effects) I don

I read good things about the ATI HD 4870 and even the 4850.Anyway I'm not sure what is better in the 9800GTX price range.Ulisses

What's the best Power supply unit for FSX when considering these cards...just to be safe?Stan

Guest jbinner

I have a 600 Watt Ultra X3. Supplies enough for ONE card, but I am worried if I go SLI I would need more and a NEW PSU again. MAKE SURE if you go with any new card to have an SLI ready power supply with 6-pin video card leads for the new PCIe 2.0

Thank you. Very interesting. PSU must be considered when attempting to change cards. Good information.