Sign in to follow this  
Guest harryrupert

Like to Overclock my QX9650

Guest jonny-jo

Hello everbody,I have bought a new rig which was o/c by the builder but I had problems, thanks to advice by Nick.N I reset the bios to default and now wish to do it myself. I have looked at various forums an am totally confused? I have looked on the web but haven't yet found something specific on the 9650, lots of reviews though! Has anyone o/c a QX9650? and can it be done by using the Extreme Tweaker Menu in the Bios setup? I have had a good look at it but am very nervous about making changes without some advice.Thanks very muchHarryIntel Core 2 QX9650 @ 3.0 ghz ASUS Maximus Extreme m/board -4 gb ram OCZ DDR3 PC10666 -BFG 8800 Ultra 768 MBRaptor 150GB - Barracuda 500gb-Enermax Galaxy 1000W-Themaltake C/ling Bigwater 745-Vista Ultimate 64

Guest jonny-jo

Thanks for input Jim,I'll give those very close scrutiny today.Regards,Harry

Guest D17S

There are only 2 bios settings you need to mess with. The front side buss (FSB) and CPU voltage (Vcore). As you increase the FSB you also increase the CPU speed. For instance your CPU has a default multiplier of 9. The default FSB is 333. So the CPU's default speed is 333 x 9 = 3.0Ghz. If you increase the FSB to 400, the CPU speed will be 400 x 9 = 3.6Ghz. If it won't run there, turn up Vcore a notch or two 'til it does. I believe the multiplier is adjustable on that CPU. If it is, increase the multi to 10. Now you have 10 x 400 = 4.0Ghz. You will need a good cooler for that. Here it is: http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?products_id=17354.0Ghz the limit for that CPU. You have arrived . . . and dat's all there is to it.

Guest jonny-jo

Hello Sam, thats makes it a lot clearer, I was getting bogged down with so many parameters. If I could get to 4.0ghz I would be very happy.I do have water cooling so I should be ok on that front.Thanks for your help.Harry

Guest D17S

Let Otto (auto) handle the rest. If there's a button to push, folk will push it . . . and cause themselves no end of trouble. The only real thing you need to look for in those forum posts is the Vcore they are using for the clock you want. Also, I hear those QXs can get squirrely above a 400Mhz FSB. That's no problem though. For all the chatter, a faster FSB is meaningless (The new Nehalem will use a 133Mhz FSB. Go figure). If it just won't run at 400 x 10, reduce the FSB to 364 and try 364 x 11 (= 4.0 too).Get a trial copy of Everest and use their system stability test to check your trial runs. Don't trust the Vcore you set in the bios. Use Everest to monitor it in real time. Prime 95 is the de-facto stresser, but if it will run with Everest, you'll be OK.

Guest jonny-jo

Thanks for the advice Sam, I'll get a copy of Everest and see how I get on.Harry

Guest B52Drivr

Hi Harry, You've got a great processor and MB there. I have almost an identical system and run it at 3.76 and don't see any reason to go any higher, although I have had it to 4.061 or so and it seemed very stable for all of my programs. I've experienced unreal FPS with FS9, which I run with everything maxed out and tons of scenery and hi-tech aircraft. FSX on the other hand is locked at 30 FPS and I very rarely ever see it dive below the 25 mark. I am VERY happy with my system. Temps are cool all of the time, (Alien case with 6 fans -- 3 in 3 out and big Zalman cooler on the CPU, also a fan inside keyed with the airflow to blow across the GPU just to keep it extra cool). I know FSX probably could use a little more poop, but this unit seems sooo happy at 3.76 and was sooo expensive, that I see no reason to run it much higher. If you need MY specs in my bios, answer back and I'll send them to you . . .this is the first time I've ever been totally happy with my system and I've been building my own now for over ten years . . .not that smart but I take directions well,BestClayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Agree with above, 4GHz 400x10 sounds nice but to hit it you'll need to max the CPU voltage and generate a lot of heat under load. I dropped back to 3.85 350x11, and was able to drop the voltage and heat, significantly.Makes visible no difference in FSX , enjoy your setup.

Guest jonny-jo

Hi Clay,Thanks very much for your post, I am very much a newbie to overclocking and would really appreciate you Bios specs, I think it would give me a platform to understand where and what I am doing. I do only run FSX at present but if I could achieve FPS over 25 I would also be very happy. As to cooling, I do have a Thermaltake Bigwater 745 which I hope will be ideal to cope with temps. I hope that I can take directions as well as you and look forward to hearing from you soon.Best regards,Harry in Franceps do you have a Maximus Extreme motherboard as well?

Guest B52Drivr

Hi Harry, Here is my system and what the important BIOS settings are set to:INTEL QX9650 CPU -- ASUS Maximus formula extreme MB, WD Raptor 150G HD, GSkill DDR2 1066 memory, 4 Gigs, Tagan BZ-BZ1100-1100Watt power supply. EVGA NIVDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512 Vid Card using the Omega 2.169.21 drivers. Zalman CNP9700 LED Dual Core cooler.BIOS specs CPU RATIO 10.0FSB FREQ 376PCIE FREQ 101DRAM FREQ AUTOAI CLOCK TWISTEr MODERATETRANS BOOSTER AUTOCPU VOLT 1.4125CPU PLL VOLT AUTONB VOLT AUTOVOLTMINDER LED ENABLEDThese are the only changes in that section of the BIOS which have been changed or messed with. on temps, presently on AVSIM with little load, I am running 30C, the SB is 40C and the NB 40C and the MB is 34C. MY CPU temp NEVER, even under full load of FSX or FS9 goes above 50C, if that.Keep in mind that I am NO great CPU or computer guru, I only listened to a few people and tried this setup and found it worked well . . .if someone has other to offer, they might know much more than I do . . .you might be able to get much more out of the ram by changings clocks . . .I really don't understant that very well, LOLI can only do the 'simple' stuff.Hope this has been some helpBestClayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest jonny-jo

Hello Clay,Your spec is very similar to mine indeed which is very interesting.Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble Clay, As soon as I have finished my chores today I will open up the setup and have a fiddle and see what happens.I'll let you know how I get onKind regards,Harry

Guest Redvan

hows the life expectancy running at those speeds?

Guest jonny-jo

Hi Sam, I have it running with some help @ 10 x 376 = 3.7ghz and its very stable so far voltage is 1.4125 and temps see ok. I have installed everest with a trial download but for some reason despite it supposed to be in English its French (cos I'm in France I guess) anyway just to say thanks for your input which I do appreciate.Harry

Guest D17S

Sounds good. 4.0 will will help. At 3.7, try a FS setup like: DX10/bloom off. Aircraft: External Settings, all ck'd. Scenery: All sliders full Right, except water 2L & Tex Res 7cm & Shadows off. Weather: Cloud draw 60mi/detailed. Traffic: 20/20/0/10/20/20 City flying will cost one notch of autogen. The PMDG 744 will cost 3 notches of autogen and all traffic.Run that Sitka approach to start. You'll be hooked.