I have been unable to re-install FSX. I keep getting the following message. "The installation source for the product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you have access to it. E:Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msiThe disc one of the dvd is in good shape with no nicks or dirt.Any ideas why it does not want to reload? I have loaded and un-installed this program more than once without any problems like this.Terry

Guest jimcooper1

Have you tried 'looking' at the disk with Explorer to check that you can read the disk? Go to My Computer, navigate to your DVD drive, right-click then click on explore. We need to establish if there is problem with the Disk or with the DVD drive. If it won't let you explore, try another Disk and see if you get the same problem. If you have access to a 2nd PC try the FSX Disk1 in that to see if it works on a different PC.Jim

Jim,Thank you for responding and yes I can read the files on the DVD so I believe the mechanical part of it is OK. I have a sneaky feeling it might be something in my Windows XP Pro software. For a long time I could not use my HP printer because a file was missing. I finally figured out how to get the missing file off the printers disk and it works fine now.It has been several years since I have totally erased the hard drive so maybe it is time to do that again. I tried to correct/update with the Windows XP Pro disk but it would not allow this because the data on that disk is older than the current software on the computer. This is probably due to all of those service pack updates from MS.I hope this gives you a little more to work with.Terry

Jim, I installed the new Window Installer 3.1 V2 as per the link and still not able to load FSX. Still get the same msi messageTerry

I like Jim's idea to try your disc in another computer. If it works than it may be time to reformat. Though it seems you should be able to reinstall windows from your Xp disc rather than reformat. I have HP computers which do not have seperate discs, its all on the HD. Doesn't make any difference if software is newer. Good luck.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest jimcooper1

>Jim,>> I installed the new Window Installer 3.1 V2 as per the link>and still not able to load FSX. Still get the same msi>message>>Terry>Did you run the Cleanup utility to check whether FSX was one of the programs that Windows Installer might affect?Jim

Have you checked that the DVD drive has the "E:" label in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management?If that looks OK then your problem sounds like one I have had in the past. It is absolutely maddening. In my case, the cause has always turned out to be Vista being fussy about what external USB devices I've got plugged in at any one time. It's pot luck whether by removing one or all of them, or adding them back in, I can persuade Vista to identify the drives correctly.Tim

Jim,How do you do that? Is it the Disc Clean-up utility? If so I run the clean up part all the time but not the extended parts.Terry

Update:I can install a "NON"- Microsoft program. (PIC 767) so I believe the hardware part of the computer (not a HP computer as thought above) is working OK. It has to be something in the Microsoft programing that is messing up the install. I can add too but not over the original Windows XP as I keep getting you have a newer version on the computer than the disc.Terry