Sign in to follow this  
Guest DanishDane

ATI 4850 problems with FS X

Guest DanishDane

Hi AllHope some of you can help me out. I just bought a Sapphire ATI 4850 to replace my aging nVidia 7800 GT. I was looking for a good price/performance midrange card and found the new ATI 4850 unbeatable.I was/am running a ASUS premium A8N32 board (SLI -board - but am not planning on crossfire - am a singlecard man) with a A64 4200+ X2, 2 Gb RAM, X-Fi gamer, 250 Gb WD Sata II, XP SP2 and just changed the 7800GT with the 4850, uninstalled the nVidia drivers, installed the supplied ATI/Sapphire CD drivers and CCC.Now BF2 and Vegas2 where running - but especially BF2 a little jerky... I now uninstalled the CD drivers (don't remember version), installed the new ATI catalyst 8.7 drivers - BF2 still jerky... Then I installed the 8.6 hotfix for 48xx series. Now BF2 and Vegas running smoothly - great value for money - went from about 20 frames/s to 80-90 frames/s with all details/AA/AF maxed out.My problem is Flight Simulator X - previously I got about 20 frames/s. with mid settings (4200 X2 and 7800 GT). Now I get max 10 frames/s, and when landing/near ground only 0,5 frame or freezing!! - FS X is unplayable. It's bothering me as I (used to) play FS X a lot. What can be the problem? The PSU to good enough, the 4850 is cool enough, the drivers work perfectly with all other games, the only problem is FS X.Does anyone have a clue/sollution?Only thing I can think about is cleaning the registry throughly with a cleaning program for any leftovers from the nVidia card or that I didn't reinstall DirectX - running 9.0c. Didn't find it necessary to reinstall DirectX with I already have lastest XP version 9.0C - is this correct? - or does one have to reinstall DirectX when changing Gfx cards?It's driving me mad - have seen benchmarks on the web with the 4850 card with FS X where it performance is extremely good - so I know it is possible. I know that FS X is mostly CPU-bound but I should at least get the same or better performance than before?

Guest firehawk44

"My problem is Flight Simulator X - previously I got about 20 frames/s. with mid settings (4200 X2 and 7800 GT). Now I get max 10 frames/s, and when landing/near ground only 0,5 frame or freezing!! - FS X is unplayable. It's bothering me as I (used to) play FS X a lot. What can be the problem? The PSU to good enough, the 4850 is cool enough, the drivers work perfectly with all other games, the only problem is FS X."I heard (somewhere) that FSX is CPU intensive and NOT GPU (like FS9) so doubt you'll see many improvements FPS wise replacing just the video card. It should help a little though. Your other games probably improved in performance because they rely more on the GPU and not the CPU."Didn't find it necessary to reinstall DirectX with [sic] I already have lastest XP version 9.0C - is this correct?"You should already have the latest version of DirectX installed. Replacing the graphics card does not affect the installation of DirectX. DirectX is a Microsoft program. The latest version for ALL operating systems is the June 2008 update located on the Microsoft website.Jim

My personal opinion would be that the new card is overqualified with the other components MB/CPU/MEm. Like the other poster mentioned, FSX primarely wants fast CPU. I bought a ATI3870 recently but only after i had upgraded to a INTEL Core2Duo 6850 and a Gigabyte MB with DDR2 memory, soon to be replaced by DDR3. My previous system was a AMD4600X2 on a Asus MB with DDR memory, very much comparable to your specs. I kept the ATI X850 i had in that system and replaced with the above components. This really boosted FSX performance, doubled, tripled, and still the X850 V card at that time.Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

Looks like ATI drivers are still beta, I would try to delete fsx.cfg and give it a try.Also make sure you removed all old Nvidia drivers with a utility after the windows uninstall.And try to change some settings like vsync, AA, etc...Ulisses

I used to have the same. The only thing that would work for me on my 4850/4870 was if I enabled anti-aliasing and ansio in the display settings. hope this helps.

Guest GabeThePilot

Problem may be that you haven't stripped out the old drivers properly....you need to use Driver Cleaner Pro - properly ! So read the bumpf.Take out all your drivers....and reinstall the Ati drivers incl. the fix etc.Also, make sure you uninstall anything nVidia related such as nHancer.And don't forget Ati drivers allow stupid levels of AA like 32x...so ensure that all your 3D settings are set to Application Controlled and then set Anisitropic and AA to ON in FSX - just to check it out. Then you play with the driver settings to override.If that fails I'd do a full reinstall of op. system. there should not be anything wrong with an HD 4 series card.