Sign in to follow this  
Toys_R_Us

Mixed Spec's. On Memory Sticks ?

When I ordered my new computer from Cyberpower, I ordered it with 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 - Xtreme Performance DDR2 Memory PC 6400/800. Then because it was so much cheaper, I ordered 2 more gigs of the same thing from TigerDirect.com, so I thought. But they were not the same, as it turned out !Cyberpower: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400, PC2-6400, 800mhz, 5-5-5-18TigerDirect: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4, PC2-6400, 800mhz, 4-4-4-12The question is... Should I just install the extra 2 gigs of memory, or should I order another 2 gigs from TigerDirect to match, and pitch the 2 gigs of Cyberpower installed memory. It's only 34 bucks more.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Guest D17S

Just make sure they stay installed as pairs and the timings autoset to the slower 5 5 5 18. Run Memtest86 overnight, then Everest system stability test just to check they're good sticks. The slower timings will make no difference in FS ops. After things are stable, it might be fun to try the 4 4 4 12 timings. I have a suspicion they really are the same thing.

>When I ordered my new computer from Cyberpower, I ordered it>with 2 gigs of Corsair XMS2 - Xtreme Performance DDR2 Memory>PC 6400/800. Then because it was so much cheaper, I ordered 2>more gigs of the same thing from TigerDirect.com, so I>thought. But they were not the same, as it turned out !>>Cyberpower: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400, PC2-6400, 800mhz, >5-5-5-18>TigerDirect: Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4, PC2-6400, 800mhz, >4-4-4-12>>The question is... Should I just install the extra 2 gigs of>memory, or should I order another 2 gigs from TigerDirect to>match, and pitch the 2 gigs of Cyberpower installed memory.>It's only 34 bucks more.>>Bob (Las Cruces, NM)I tried mixing these sticks and was unsuccesful.However I do have two 1 gig sticks of type 'Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4' v1.2. They have 'CM2X1024-64000C4' on the labels.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...6874&CatId=2368You better ask them what the version numbers are!

I'm running exactly that with no problems.2x6400 and 2x6400C4, both at 5-5-5-18Fred

>I'm running exactly that with no problems.>2x6400 and 2x6400C4, both at 5-5-5-18>>Fred>My mismatched stick wouldn't run on my motherboard.But aren't the C4 sticks running at slower timeings?

Guest D17S

The bios sets the timings. The sticks only attempt to run at that timing. Make sure the bios is ManuaLLy set to drive the sticks at the slowest timings of either pair.

Fred:They are different voltages. 1.9V for regular and 2.1V for the C4. What voltage are you running ?Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Bob,Use the lower value for both, without going into my bios right now I believe mine are at 1.85 volts. The C4 sticks do not require higher voltages or timing differences unless you are going to push them.Fred

It did accept the memory and it registers in the BIOS correctly as being there in the correct amount at 4 gigs. I did however have to change the DRAM voltage from "Auto" to 1.91V, the lower voltage of the two different sets. The BIOS would not boot, and error beeped, until I removed the new sticks, and went back in and set the manual 1.91V setting and saved it.I'll now keep my fingers crossed. Bob (Las Cruces, NM)