Sign in to follow this  
c152flyboy

triple head versus one large widescreen

it is time for me to upgrade my system and the nagging question I have is about the monitor setup. I would like to know if the matrox th2go on 3 19" wide screen monitors looks better and shows more viewing angle then say a single 24 or 26 inch wide screen monitor ( even if zoomed out a bit?) please tell me both the good and bad about your experiences either way or if you are just using two monitors, i would like to know how that has worked out for you as well.also do you have a recommendation on a video card to use with either setup?thank you very much, Kyle

Alex, can you explain a bit more about changing the settings in the panel config? i would be using three of the same size and make of monitors ( mostly for looks ) but i have no idea how to do this or even where to start. thanks for earlier reply, that is one vote for th2go.

Kyle- Panel Config settings will only be used with 2D multi monitor setup- to change the angle of views LFwd & RFwd. (TH2Go shows only View Fwd.) For 2D multi view settings search this forum for a thread-"Multiple Monitors"- about a month ago.-------------If using TH2Go & virtual cockpit, there is a setup setting in the Digital version to make a bezel correction- I believe equivalent to the width of two typical LCD bezels. I believe the original analogue version did not have this capability. See the AVSIM reviews on TH2Go or look up the Matrox site for info.-------------Most(all?) video cards nowdays have two sockets for monitors. For a third mon you need another card- PCI? I have almost no tech expertise so can't help more here. The 2nd card doesn't have to be anything special- just enough to drive the third mon.Setting up Windows XP for multi mons, go into Control Panel/Display/Settings and there should be a schematic pic of your monitors. Drag them into their correct relative positions, set the resolutions you wish (all same), then for each extra mon click "Extend My Windows Desktop Onto This Monitor". Then APPLY and bingo, your mouse cursor should be dragable from far left to extreme right. Just one very wide desktop!!!Alex Reid

actually i have done that Alex, i currently use one 22" widescreen and one 15" for GPS and Radio. i will have to look for the thread about the fwd left and fwd right views.

Guest D17S

I'm currently using a single 42"-er. (With a couple of 19s on the side for CDU/jepp chart stuff). The resolution at 1080p lets a user get within 6" - 1' of the screen for maximum peripheral effect. Vcockpits work fine. Try that Kai Tek approach in the PMDG airplane scooted in close to a 42"er. Hang on tight.

SAm, i used to use a 32" monitor but i thought that going to 3 19" would give me a better field of view. now i am not sure, may have to go back to the 32 inch again.thanks

Guest D17S

3840 x 1024 (3 x 1280 x 1024) across 14.75" x 3 = 44.25" of lateral screen space.1920 x 1024 (one 42" monitor) across 37" x 1 = 37" of lateral screen space.The THtG's 3840 lateral resolution suggests a wider - default - field of view. The 3 x 19s extends the lateral viewing dimension by 7" (44-37=7). The 19 inch monitors are 12" high vs the 42" at 21" high. The 1 x 42 extend the vertical viewing dimension by 9" (21-12=9). Any default field of view can be increased or reduced by zoom level. For instance the 42 can reproduce a default 3840's lateral FOV with zoom-out. A 3840 can reproduce a 1920 by zoom-in.The THtG setup has 7" of additional Lateral viewing area . . . however The 42 has 9" of additional Vertical viewing area. The THtG's 7 inch advantage is offset by having to look through bezels. Getting used to it or not, they will sill be big hunks of plastic in one's FOV.Cost? 42s are available for $800 these days. A THtG setup is (200 x 3) + 300 = 900. Pretty close, but you can't watch "Planet Earth" on a 42" at 1080P on a 19"er when you are done simmin'. Life does not end with at FS.I vote for the 42.

Kyle- triple monitors will give you a wider "Perspective"- but only by also displaying 2 or 3 views can you get an increased "Field of View". I'm unaware of any one displaying triple views on a single large monitor/high def TV. But it's an intriguing idea!Alex Reid

Guest jahman

I just sent this email to vuzix:QUOTESuggestions for improving the VR920:1. Separate VGA screens!!!! Then for Microsoft Fight Simulator XI could just specifiy two camera views (one for each eye) and getstereo-optical view right out of the box!You never thought depth-of-field could be this easy and cheap!2. You need 6 (SIX) degrees of freedom! Why on Earth would youskimp and only implement 3?UNQUOTECheers,jahman.

I use both heads on my video card and a dual head to go hooked up to one to accomodate 3 19 inch screens. See my specs below.

TH2go just announced it has expanded to now cover up to 1680 by 1050, thought you need a DX10 card with 2 DVI ports to get this. looks like it is just a simple DL to get it. seeing as i still use DX9 and XP, i can not take advantage of that size but i will on the next upgrade i do.