Sign in to follow this  
Guest steve31000

Running FSX on a HD Projector??

Guest steve31000

Hello Everyone,This is complicated so please bear with me.....I have decided to take the plunge and enter the world of hd projectors for several purposes with the most important for me being the use of FSX (to feed my addiction;)Unfortunately I have been unable to find any clear explanation/guide on the internet as to how resolution works. At the moment I am running FSX at 1440 X 900 on a small monitor (maximum resolution of the monitor is 1900 X 1200), and very happy with the results. Recently, as a sort of test run, I connected my computer via VGA to my HD tv - a Bravia 720p/1080i model. Whilst I could run windows in an upscaled 1900 x 1200 setting, I was only able to play past the title screen of FSX if I changed the resolution. The problem is I was only offered three settings, the maximum being 1366 X 768 (with a 2ghz core duo and 8600gt). This gave me a rather blurry view of FSX which I wou;dn't be too satisfied with if it was like that on a projector. Question 1. Is there any way to upscale FSX to a higher resolution such as 1440 X 900 on a 720p projector? I understand some basics about pixels and that 768 is the maximum number of vertical lines. The reason I want to check is because projectors such as the Optoma HD65 are quite cheap.Question 2. If the 720p projector is only going to show a fairly low resolution, if I purchase a 1080p projector (which I'm willing to do), will I be able to run FSX in 1900 X 1080 mode or would it still run at 1366 X 768 maximum?Question 3. If I bought a 1080p (lets say the optoma 800x, for example) projector if the 720p is indeed only able to show as low 1366 X 768, would I be able to downscale FSX via the settings menu to run at 1440 X 900 (or any other resolutions) in order to conserve frame rates? Or is 1080p only able to show 1080p (1900 X 1080) and 720p in terms of PC games?I know thats a lot but I would be soooo grateful if someone could help as I don't want to waste that kind of money to find out my dream of using FSX on a big screen is over. Someone mentioned to me that my graphics card might have to be 1080p compatible for games. I'm not sure if the 8600gt is but I was planning on buying a new rig for FSX if it does run on at least 1440 X 900 resolution to make the purchase of a new rig worthwhile. Any help would be great!! Thanks;)

>>Question 1. Is there any way to upscale FSX to a higher>resolution such as 1440 X 900 on a 720p projector? I>understand some basics about pixels and that 768 is the>maximum number of vertical lines. The reason I want to check>is because projectors such as the Optoma HD65 are quite>cheap.You want to run FSX or anything for that matter at the native resolution of the display device. In this case a 720p projector is 1280x720 60Hz. Upscaling or downscaling will only make the image worse. Some 720p projectors are actually 768p, 1280x768.>>Question 2. If the 720p projector is only going to show a>fairly low resolution, if I purchase a 1080p projector (which>I'm willing to do), will I be able to run FSX in 1900 X 1080>mode or would it still run at 1366 X 768 maximum?Your windows/video card would pick up the max resolution of a recent display, so yes you would run at 1920x1080, if using a 1080p projector.>Question 3. If I bought a 1080p (lets say the optoma 800x, for>example) projector if the 720p is indeed only able to show as>low 1366 X 768, would I be able to downscale FSX via the>settings menu to run at 1440 X 900 (or any other resolutions)>in order to conserve frame rates? Or is 1080p only able to>show 1080p (1900 X 1080) and 720p in terms of PC games?You can run FSX at any resolution you want that is supported by the display, but only the native resolution will look crisp and sharp.You also want to make sure the projector is in a 1:1 pixel mapping mode, that is without overscan.>>I know thats a lot but I would be soooo grateful if someone>could help as I don't want to waste that kind of money to find>out my dream of using FSX on a big screen is over. Someone>mentioned to me that my graphics card might have to be 1080p>compatible for games. I'm not sure if the 8600gt is but I was>planning on buying a new rig for FSX if it does run on at>least 1440 X 900 resolution to make the purchase of a new rig>worthwhile. Running FSX at 1920x1080 needs a decent system, running a 1280x720 a moderate system. You could try your card at 1920x1080 but would be best with a 8800GTS 640MB or 8800GTX or one of the new GTX260 / 280 card, and a 3Ghz plus CPU, like the e8500.If you have any other questions just ask.I'd recommend a 1080p projector, for HDTV, PS3 use etc.FSX will be fun on it for a while, but I find I prefer a monitor for regular FSX use. Problem with FSX and projector is you have to sit in the dark, and graphics limitations, flicker etc, of FSX are bigger.Benq offers a value w9000 1080p DLP projector for about 2.5K, you read about it on AVS Forums. Many other LCD low cost 1080p units too.