Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Computer lockup

Guest sunbear

Any ideas what would be causing my system to lock up when in FS9 flying PMDG 737NG. It seems to shut down and go into the opening screen for no apparent reason other than I get into high weather areas and in the outside the cockpit view.My CPU temp. is running 49C and both core 1 & 2 are running between 43&45 degrees..My system is 2.4ghz overclocked to 3.16ghz, 4 gig of PC2-800 memory, Asus P5B-E motherboard, a tunig cooler with fan and an ATI 1650 Graphic card.Should I uninstall FS9 and do a reinstallation? I recently did a defrag so I pretty sure it's not the problem..Welcome any suggestions.Regards,jack

Guest stabile007

Is it only FS9 or is it any other things? One thing you can try is downloading and running memtest86 (It needs to run during bootup just follow the instructions) but Memtest will test the ram to make sure its not a bad stick of ram. I had a PC build once that was fine for most games I was playing until I got to a game that used up all my RAM and it would just keep blue screening my PC. So see if that's it ideally you should have no errors during Memtest if you do pull out a stick test each stick by itself to determine the bad stick.If you determine that the Ram is good start by doing the other usual steps making sure all drivers are up to date, insure you have the latest Bios update, run all AV, and Anti Spyware checks. Reinstall the affected programs and if all else fails reinstall the OS.Hope that helps.

Guest GabeThePilot

>Is it only FS9 or is it any other things? One thing you can>try is downloading and running memtest86 (It needs to run>during bootup just follow the instructions) but Memtest will>test the ram to make sure its not a bad stick of ram. I had a>PC build once that was fine for most games I was playing until>I got to a game that used up all my RAM and it would just keep>blue screening my PC. So see if that's it ideally you should>have no errors during Memtest if you do pull out a stick test>each stick by itself to determine the bad stick.>>If you determine that the Ram is good start by doing the other>usual steps making sure all drivers are up to date, insure you>have the latest Bios update, run all AV, and Anti Spyware>checks. Reinstall the affected programs and if all else fails>reinstall the OS.>>Hope that helps.Also, have you tested your overclock using Orthos-type tools ?Otherwise, you may be overheating......how is your case ventilation ?

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Jack,Before you start getting drastic with un-installing and re-installing things let's look at some simpler stuff first. I can say pretty confidently that it's a RAM issue but, I'm not saying your RAM is bad. The very first thing you should do is reset your system to it's stock settings, i.e. no overclock. Do you still have the problem? If yes, then you may in fact have a bad stick. If FS runs fine, then your OC is, more likely than not, the culprit. The quality of your RAM will have a significant impact on your OC stability.I say this because of very recent experience OC'ing my system. I can run my system faster than I have it now but, there comes a point where FS doesn't like to keep running, and will just crash to a black screen and then CTD, with or without an error msg. Pull the speed back a bit, and it runs like a champ. Overclocking your systems CPU has to balanced against what your RAM can do. Speaking of which, is your memory 2x2GB sticks or 4x1GB sticks? Are they matched? This can have an impact. You also don't mention the CPU though, I assume from the specs you mentioned that it is a Q6600. Remember that when you OC your CPU, if you do so by only pushing the FSB, you're going to push your RAM beyond a point where it will be stable at its' stock timings and voltages. A Q6600 can, from what I've heard, safely OC to 3.2GHz on air, assuming a G0 stepping so, at 3.16 you're already sort of pushing the envelope depending on what divider is being used. Your MB may also be a factor in how well your system will OC. The Asus P5B-E is a good overclocking board but, the 965 chipset isn't as good a performer memory wise as the newer chipsets are. One last thing I'll point out about memory as it pertains to FS9, is that while CPU clock speed is essential for fast performance, fast RAM isn't. Oh, there's no question that fast RAM is a benefit but, I've found and can say with confidence that tighter RAM timings have a greater positive impact on texture quality, both for clarity and cripness, than faster RAM clock speed. Tighter timings will also significantly reduce, if not eliminate entirely, the stutters that so many are plagued with. My memory is rated 1066MHz at 5-5-5-15 and 2.2v. I'm runing @ 1104MHZ with 5-5-3-13 and 2.12v. If I push the speed beyond 1104MHz at these timings, my system runs rock stable but FS9 doesn't. It black screens and ctd. I've run at 1170MHz and 5-5-5-15 2.2v, and FS doesn't run nearly as well. Lots of stutters and blurries.I know that this has probably raised more questions than it answers for you but, I'm pretty sure your OC is the problem. I have no idea of your experience level with overclocking so I apologize if anything here has served to insult your intelligence. If you would like to really learn the in and outs of this stuff, I recommend you take a look at the Xtreme Systems forum here:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php?There are some extremely knowledgable folks here to help and a ton of info to study. Registration takes a while because the process is done by hand but, use the few days you're waiting to study what they have to offer. By the time my registration came through, I had already found the answers to all my questions. I hope this helps a bit.Best Regards,Jeff