Sign in to follow this  

Active Sky

Anybody know anything about Activesky?? I downloaded it the other day and it's great...except>>> Whenever I go through a cloud layer my airspeed indicator starts whirling and after a few moments becomes disabled. This has happened with two different aircraft. I've also had some problems with ATC since installing it. I will get IFR clearance that states a certain runway and then when I ask for taxi clearance, I get a different runway instruction. This never happened to me before installing Activesky.Thanks in advance for any info.

Thanks Geof.. I didn't think of that, and I'll give it a try.

I don't mean to be offensive, but try the ActiveSky forum too, here at Avsim. Damian is very friendly and helpful.Hope this is of use to you!Best regards.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Geof is right, it doesn't have anything to do with ActiveSky directly. It's probably the FSUIPC module that is required by many add-ons - it has a `cloud turbulence` option that you can switch off if you don't want it to be closer to reality. That will stop the Airspeed Indicator swinging around in a most realistic fashion. But the cause of the failure is undoubtedly pitot freezing and pitot heat will cure the loss of the instrument.ChasW

I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out. I'm not a real pilot....I just play one on TV. The help I get from this forum is invaluable. Thanks to all who contribute their knowledge and experience. It truly helps those of us who don't have the ticket.John

"I'm not a real pilot....I just play one on TV"OK John you have to clue us in. What do you mean by this statement? Do you mean you play on your computer monitor, or do you mean your actually on TV and we may know who you are? A comment like that and we may have a celebrity in our ranks. :-lolhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifRC3 - Just gotta' have it!http://www3.telus.net/dport1/Radar_small.gifhttp://www3.telus.net/dport1/dansig.jpg

Guest Edam

That's from old TV commercials by Robert Young, who played in a TV show called 'Marcus Welby. M.D.' He would begin the commercial by saying, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

Guest Edam

Oops. I was incorrect:"Q: My co-workers and I are going nuts trying to identify the actor in aTV commercial that must have aired 10 or 20 years ago. We're trying tosettle, once and for all, the actor who uttered the infamous line, 'I'mnot a doctor, but I play one on TV.' I say the pseudo-physician was RobertYoung. A co-worker brazenly insists it was Chad Everett."Also, no one can agree on the product the commercial was for. A painreliever? A laxative? Caffeine-free coffee?"A: Robert Young sold Sanka decaffeinated coffee on TV commercials, but hedidn't say the 'I'm-not-a-doctor' line."That honor fell to Peter Bergman, who played Dr. Cliff Warner on All MyChildren from 1979 to 1989, during the time the commercial ran. Now, ofcourse, he plays Jack Abbott on The Young and the Restless."The commercial was for a cough syrup. And, hey, if you can't trust anactor who plays a doctor, who can you trust?"

Good Grief...what did I start? How did we get this far off the subject??? Soaps???! Oh my, we are such a frivolous, shallow, vain society. But I guess it only makes sense that an actor would be a simmer. They have so much free time on their hands and they're used to living in a fake world. (hehe).Anyway thanks for the FSUIPC clue. I think that will do the trick.