Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brucek

FSX.cfg and a new video card / 2X PCI-e.

Is it necessary to do any editing or to delete the fsx.cfg prior to un-installing an existing video card and installing a new one? I see a reference to the video card installed in the .cfg file.I'm also wondering what difference a 2X PCI-e card might make for FSX (@ 512MB), compared to increasing video card memory (in my case to 768MB)at 1X PCI-e? I have a motherboard that has a 2X PCI-e bus (GA-X38T-DQ6).Thanks, Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's always a good idea to delete the .cfg file anytime a Vcard or driver is changed. It's such a little deal that could help. Just delete it and it will rebuild. No other action is required. Also, anytime FS gets out of sorts, this is always a good 1st troubleshoot. The new PCI-E v2 is a buss bandwidth increase that will NoT be needed for Years. We are just now (finally) using the bandwidth that is currently available with AGP 8X. However 512M of Vcard onboard memory is almost required these days. Don't get anything with less than that. However, I had a GTX260 with 886Ms, I couldn't tell any difference between that and the 8800GT/512 it replaced . . . then was then replaced by.

I understand you could just deleat the line in your cfg. file that deals with your vcard. Next start, the sim puts the correct card in. useful if you have a lot of tweaks. My sim runs better without tweaks.Bob