Sign in to follow this  
Guest will35arm

New Computer and FSX

Guest will35arm

Looking to buy a new computer and update FSX, after hearing and reading posts here wanted to ask for thoughts concern specs for new computer and running FSX. Here are the specs:Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)Processor Intel

Guest will35arm

Yes, is it...was going to build out one if price doesnt exceed more then 1200 for components.

What I didn't like about the specs is only 2 memory slots on the motherboard for a 64 bit operating system computer. ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Guest will35arm

Based on feedback/comments - moved to another store system which specs follow:Tuniq 3 Gaming Tower with Blue Color Lighting & Processor Liquid Cooling SystemOperating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit)Processor Intel

Guest harleyman52

switch to Vista 64.......Onboard sound will access your CPU for sound.....It outa do just fine with SP1 and 2

Guest D17S

Well, keep going. 1) No need for water cooling. A $60 air cooler does the same job. 2) Get 4Gs of ram. DDR2-800 is fine.3) The 8800GTX is a fine card, but a $120 8800GT will do the same job in FS.4) One DVD/RW optical drive is enough.5) Go with Vista 64 for the op system.6) A Q6600 is cheaper and will run at an identical overclock.

>Price is 400 bucks different from first one..$1600?Considerations:1. I hear that a 768MB video card can have negative effects on FSX concerning usage of virtural memory, and that 512MB is better.2. While a 64 bit operating system might be better for FSX, it might not be best for other intended applications for this computer (of which we are not aware).3. The second DVD ROM drive is not expensive and I wouldn't eliminate it as suggested. I find it useful.4. They never tell you what chipset is on the motherboard.5. It's a dream machine and upgradable, but I'd rather have that money applied to parts for my own build.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Guest djt01

>Considerations:>1. I hear that a 768MB video card can have negative effects on>FSX concerning usage of virtural memory, and that 512MB is>better.LOL, Could you elaborate on this one? The misconceptions never cease to amaze here at AVSIM, what

>LOL, >Could you elaborate on this one? The misconceptions never cease to >amaze here at AVSIM, what

Art

Guest djt01

>Fortunately, I think that Vista SP1 may have addressed this>issue.I

Sam,What are your thoughts about a case for a new build with the items on your wish list?Thanks,Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

Guest D17S

I use this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811119115It comes up at $30/free shipping. I liked that it had the exterior USB ports high enough to be convenient and it had enough HD bays. Performance wise, the case is a non-issue other than aesthetic appeal. I run mine in a 82+F summertime room with a Q @ 3.6Ghz. If cooling is an issue, just leave the side off.