Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Computer shutting down

Guest sunbear

When running FSX with moderate settings, my computer will unexpectingly shutdown. It does not do it with FS9. I was wandering if there is a way to tell if it is the computer chip overheating or the video card overheating that is causing this!!My system is: E6600 overclocked to 3.16ghz, 4gig of PC2-6400 ram, ATI 1650 Radeon 512meg, a fan-driven copper/aluminum fin chip cooler.If I turn the settings down in FSX, it will not do it, however, I still would like to know which one is causing it to happen. The ATI Radeon does not have a fan driven cooler attached to it,... just a series of tubes that do the cooling. Is there a way to determine if it is the chip or the video card that is causing the shutdowns which are then followed by an immediate rebooting to the Windows XP???I have a program called PCWizard 2007 that gives temp.'s but it uses a lot of computer resources when running and it only runs in windowed mode which sets my fps back to 2fps instead of the 20fps that I normally get.Any ideas or suggestions!Regards,jack

Coretemp, Speedfan or the trial version of Everest Ultimate will accurately read your temps and your overclock is causing the system to shut down - not the VC. Back off on it a tad and you'll know. If your temps are in line, I'd run memtest next, if it's good, make sure your ram voltages are correct and relax the timings if needed. Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest sunbear

Thanks. I downloaded 'Coretemp' but cannot get it to run in unison with FSX!! I bring up 'Coretemp' and then minimize it and run FSX in Windows mode and it can't seem to do both runs...The system then shuts down and reboots to the XP startup screenies.I initially thought that it was my graphics card overheating and shutting down the system, but you say no to that.Is 'Fanspeed' any better?Regards,jack

Hi Jack, you should be able to run Coretemp and FSX at the same time. Sounds like have some stability issues going on. I'd take everything back to stock speeds and begin to try and narrow down the cause, whether it's just the OC or if you have some hardware failing, such as ram. Hope it helps.Regards, Kendall#1: E6750@3.2GHZ/Coolermaster HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - 174.74 beta Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest sunbear

Thanks for the advise. Regards,jack

Guest Desert Flyer

My computer's bios has an automatic shutdown when the temperature of the CPU hits 157f.As it turned out, both FSX and World of Warcraft were triggering this temperature on the CPU and were unexpectedly shutting down the computer.To "fix" it, I did normal computer maintenance that I had avoided doing for serveral months past due, which was to take my air compressor and blow out the dust bunnies from the heatsink of the CPU. When using compressed air, make sure to hold onto the fan lightly by a fan blade so that it doesn't go spinning out of control.My "normal" cpu temperatures when at idle in Vista were about 121f, after cleaning out the dust (and believe me my home office here was swirling in dust after blowing out everything), now my computer idles niclely at about 90f CPU temp.While this may not "fix" your shut downs, it's at least a place to start looking.After that I would look to see if the PSU is being overtaxed and shutting itself down.

Guest sunbear

Thanks for the tip. I think I may have 'accidently' solved my shutdown problem. I was looking at the display settings for my computer resolution and what I also had set for FSX and discovered, solely by accident, that my FSX resolution was set at 1024 X 768-16 and my computer display was set for 1280 X 1024-32. I then set the resolution in FSX to the same as my display resolution which was 1280 X 1024 -32 and all is extremely well now. I haven't experienced any shutdowns since and have increased my sliders further to the right on all settings and the fps have not dropped.Soooo, I guess for what it's worth to anybody else having these types of shutdowns, check to see if your resolution is the same for your display and the software you are currently running.Regards to all,jack