Sign in to follow this  
cowpatz

Proposed computer specs

Ok hopefully this is nailed this time. OS: vista business 32 bitMobo: Asus P5Q3/Delux wifiCPU: E8600Vid: GTX280Ram: 2 x 2GB Crucial DDR3 PC3-8500Power: Antec Quattro 850WSATA: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB 7200 rpm Concerning the RAM would 4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-10600 be better from a performance point of view?Does DX10 warrant the move to Vista? I would prefer to stay with XP but I'll need Vista for DX10 with FSX.Thanks for your scrutineering.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Mem: The Crucial DDR3 PC-8500 in 2 sticks is fine. I would rather have 2 sticks than 4.OS: If I were going to run Vista, I would run the 64-bit Vista on that proposed machine, unless I had hardware that I knew wasn't supported in 64.Mobo: I have wifi in my ASUS board also. It works great. :)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

Is this system for FSX only?If so, that card is getting HORRIBLE performance reviews with FSX.Do a search here and google before giving Nvidia anymore money.I get to play with all the latest greatest cards and the latest run slower if at all with FSX.Get a $200 8800gt and spend the other $300 on addons.The 8800 series seems to be the best overall for FSX.Most rec 64 bit Vista and from what Ive seen and read, DX10 "preview" is not worth the time or effort and creates alot of problems.

Guest djt01

>If so, that card is getting HORRIBLE performance reviews with>FSX.Yeah right it

Guest djt01

>Do a search and I think you are the one needing a clue.>Kinda hurts wasting $500 huh?>Let me know when Nvidia works on the drivers to optimise them>for FSX.Who wasted $500? Seems like you missed an important bit of information in Tom

Thanks for the replies. I guess at the end of the day it will be driver issues that are the key. I think the focus on driver updates will be for the newer boards and this is why despite the figure shown on Toms Hardware etc the GTX280 or 4870x2 will be the best "future proofed" options for me. I have an unopened copy of FSX that might just stay that way for now!Djt01 how did the weekend review go? I'm particularly interested in the copmparison between the 4870x2 and GTX280 cards with the latest drivers.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Sam - I've been thinking about changing my 8800 Ultra for something newer and shinier, just for FSX. I don't imagine you've done tests or anything, but have you noticed whether the GTX280 is faster than the 8800 Ultra? Or would you say it is just "as good as" the 8800 Ultra?ThanksTim

Guest D17S

I ran a GTX260 for a month, coming from an 8800GT. Saw No difference in FS with either a 42" 1080p or a 19" 12x10 . . . but Crysis and CoD got another notch of slider. The 260 lacked support for a 2nd non-SLI Vcard and Vista's sleep function. Loosing 2 monitors and sleep was not worth a notch of CoD slider to me. Anything beyond the 8800GT is not needed by FS, but I Liked Crysis. Finally got to shoot some of those goofy blue flying squid things.

Guest harleyman52

>Sam - I've been thinking about changing my 8800 Ultra for>something newer and shinier, just for FSX. I don't imagine>you've done tests or anything, but have you noticed whether>the GTX280 is faster than the 8800 Ultra? Or would you say it>is just "as good as" the 8800 Ultra?>>Thanks>>TimI won't leave my ultra till Nividias release of there drivers that support multimonitors and SLI...Then I'll drop back in my 8800GTS's....

Guest djt01

>Djt01 how did the weekend review go? I'm particularly>interested in the copmparison between the 4870x2 and GTX280>cards with the latest drivers.It would be nice if ATI would release the