Sign in to follow this  
itlnstallion818

Sound card and CPU usage question

Hey guys i'm new, I tried searching so I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I have a gigabyte ds3l mobo with a realtek onboard sound card. I typically fly the pmdg 747, would i see a substantial frame rate increase if i used a dedicated sound card as opposed to the onboard one? (i saw someone bring this up in another thread and didn't want to ask about it in there and take it off track)... my computer specs are in my sig for reference

Guest harleyman52

Yes you will see some improvement......How much is hard to say....But a sound card with its own processor will stay out of your CPU thats a fact....Is it worth it for one plane...Probably not.....But its just money...

Guest JIMJAM

I had a Audigy get zapped and went without a card for a few days. Saw no difference in FPS,stutters ect.BUTConsidering a new card,in my case the X-fi is one of the less expensive parts to buy,its worth it for piece of mind and to put you more on the same playing field.When you get that millisecond pause when you touch down, was it because you didnt have the sound card?If nothing else it will eliminate that "doubt".FSX has enough unsolved mysteries as is.Besides, the audio console adds dozens of additional settings and confusing terminology to the already thousands of the graphics and game settings.Yippeee:-newburn

Absolutely not worth it! I pulled my X-Fi out of my system a few months ago and don't even notice it gone, whether that be FPS or sound quality. Onboard sound is pretty dang good now days and any multi-core CPU will easily gobble up the piddly extra 1% CPU load such a setup may incur.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Sorry Gary, I have to disagree. Firstly when I had a lowly P4 I bought a sound card with 64mb onboard memory and it did make a diffrence to slight jekiness on touch down etc. On my new system My card and Speakers alone came to total of

Rob Prest

Your P4 was likely single core on an early gen on-board sound capable motherboard, which is not the dual core or better base requirement on a modern mobo that I suggested.For the average Joe with sub $100 speakers, I still reckon you'd be scratching to tell the sound quality difference, even with a flash sound card!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest dswo

>Your P4 was likely single core on an early gen on-board sound>capable motherboard, which is not the dual core or better base>requirement on a modern mobo that I suggested.>>For the average Joe with sub $100 speakers, I still reckon>you'd be scratching to tell the sound quality difference, even>with a flash sound card!I agree with Gary. I went from Realtek HD onboard to X-Fi Gamer a few months ago and have noticed no difference in FSX, either quality or FPS. I do like the Crystallizer for music.

Also agree with Gary - only benefit of my Xi-fi is I get ATC through the headset and a/c sounds thru the speakers but absolutely NO difference in FSX operation.VicQ6600 G0 CPU 2.4 o/c 3.65Evga 680i A1 with P31 BIOS 2G XP2-8500 DDR2 1066FSB Mushkin 996535 RAM 5-5-4-12-2T320G 7200 HD partitioned for XP/Vista/Programs 2 - 74G Raptors in RAID0 500G 7200 HD for backup SATA DVD burner Evga 8800GTS 640 PCIx XG 174.74 702/1620/792Kandalf LCS case w/ built in liquid cooling 850W Thermaltake power supplyVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-supporter-sigbanner.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Well that's a wonderful retort! :)> On my new system My card and Speakers alone came to total of

I have an earlier Creative X-Fi modelPeople say they can't tell the difference between onboard and add-in cards. But on my mobo I can tell. The highs are more crisp with my x-fi and the real reason I got the card was so I could use headphones (I have a decent Sennheiser pair), and get that EAX effect for games other than flight sim. (Half life 2, BF2, Crysis etc) If you only play FSX I doubt a card will make a noticable difference. you may even lose frames with a card unless you get one that has that onboard RAM.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |