Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

Would this videocard be a good idea to buy now

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've got an Nvidia 7950GT which is slightly slower than the one you're looking at buying. I upgraded from a Radeon 9800XT, but couldn't get one any faster at the time since I'm stuck with an AGP port. Worst case for me is the PMDG 747 in VC mode at 9 Dragons Kai Tak with weather being generated, but that's with the resolution set to 1600 X 1200 with AA and AF being used and most of the FS9 settings near the max. My system will slow down to 8 fps, but only during approach there. Not very good and choppy, but I'm spoiled with the crisp look of panel gauges, so I keep my settings high. I could increase my frame rates by setting things down if I choose to.Also make sure which port your motherboard has, AGP or PCI-Express and whether the power supply can handle the new card. If you want to compare videocard specs and speeds, look up your card on this table. They also have good information on how to swap cards.http://www.playtool.com/pages/vidtable/table.htmlKim

>I've got an Nvidia 7950GT which is slightly slower than the>one you're looking at buying. I upgraded from a Radeon 9800XT,>but couldn't get one any faster at the time since I'm stuck>with an AGP port. Worst case for me is the PMDG 747 in VC mode>at 9 Dragons Kai Tak with weather being generated, but that's>with the resolution set to 1600 X 1200 with AA and AF being>used and most of the FS9 settings near the max. My system will>slow down to 8 fps, but only during approach there. Not very>good and choppy, but I'm spoiled with the crisp look of panel>gauges, so I keep my settings high. I could increase my frame>rates by setting things down if I choose to.>According to the table in your link 7950 is one step above my suggested card. Also the 3850 is stated as the best. But in another thread I had I was advised against a 3850 since it was very bad with FS. Could X1950PRO be better than 3850? I have also been advised against ATI by the guy at FS-GS since it should be bad in regard of AA and drawing clouds. What do you think? BTW what is your system?When you speak of 9 Dragon Kai Tak do you mean a airport addon scenery? If so how well will it go with that airport disabled?Otherwise I'm interested in that PMDG 747 and I currently use 1280*1024 but a bigger monitor is on my wishlist.>Also make sure which port your motherboard has, AGP or>PCI-Express and whether the power supply can handle the newI'm painfully awaew of having AGP and my current QTec 550W won't be able run it. But the Corsair HX520W I have ordered (since I suspect the QTec could also the cause of my problems) will do it.>card. If you want to compare videocard specs and speeds, look>up your card on this table. They also have good information on>how to swap cards.>>http://www.playtool.com/pages/vidtable/table.html>According to that table it's a bigger step between 6600Gt to X1950PROthan between ATI9800PRO and 6600GT which was my prevous videocard upgrade. And that resulted in a significant improved performence.

Be aware: this card is BIG. Your case has to have room for it. I loved it in my year old Dell 6650, but when I finally built my new box I traded it's superior video quality for frames and got an nVida 8800 GTX.I have one of these that's about 3 months old sitting in the original box. Email me off line and maybe we can work something out for less money if you're interested. I'm in the United States -- if not, no harm no foul.