Hi All,I'm getting out of memory errors with my Digital Aviation Cheyenne, usually after flying over 1 hour. At the DA forum, it has been suggested to use a /3GB switch and a userva of from 2080 to 3048.I currently only have 2 GB - can FSX use more with a winXP (Home) OS? Im willing to spend the money to get another 2 gb, but I'm wondering if it will help at all.I'm flying with UTx, GEX, default scenery, and RC4. I'm using Alacrity for startup and I'm getting 22-26 fps (locked at 26). I'm not running out of memory with any other aircraft.Dale

Dale

Welcome to the club. I am having out of memory errors too.After weeks of testing, I have found out that it's dependable on fs9.cfg. With some other guys, we did couple of test, and we all got the same crashes with same addons and same settings on different systems. So, we concluded it's a memory-fs9 thing.It all comes down to this:Running FS9 with:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=0TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=0results in no crash.Running it with:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.5TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.5TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4results in a crash.Test was flight from KATL to EGKK (8 hours in real time). Also UT USA, Canada and Europe installed, some other airport addons.Now testing with different settings inside of fs9.cfg, possibly to find the reason, but its hard.Also, if I activate the /3GB switch, no crash. But can't use the switch, because then my BAV Acars stops working...So, I am planning to install Vista64 soon to see if it works out. But I would rather like to keep XP.Concerning more physical RAM, no, it will not help at all or change your situation. It will only possibly make some things a bit smoother, but not even that really.

Guest Jeffhew

Hi Dale,You don't need to add RAM to use the 3GB switch. All the switch does is allow FS to use more memory than the 2GB process limit of a 32 bit OS allows. You'll want to use USERVE=2560 to allow room for your GPU to operate without issue. It will also be necessary to edit the FS9.exe to allow it to use more than 2GB. You'll need a program like CFF explorer to do that. Do a search here in the forum for OOM, 3GB switch, and/or CTD. There are a large number of threads here on this topic.You can use up to a total of 4GB of RAM with XP or VISTA as both are 32 bit operating systems though, it won't see or use all of it. That total includes the memory on your GPU. So with a 512MB GPU, windows will see around 3.5GB of your RAM. Incidentally, regarding VISTA 64, there are a few FS add-ons that won't work with it. Most of the newer Dreamfleet aircraft and the 16 bit Garmins from Reality XP come to mind. I hope this helps you.Best Regards,Jeff

Thanks for the replies. I'm using FSX, not fs9, so does the same apply to fsx.cfg?BTW, I just completed another test, flying the DA Cheyenne straight South from Detroit, no rc4 and the Trimble GPS turned off. Got the Out of Memory crash at 1:05 into the flight. It acts like a memory "leak" usually associated with some sceneries, but I have only default scenery (with UTX and DEX).Very frustrating, to say the least.Dale

Dale

>Hi Dale,>>You don't need to add RAM to use the 3GB switch. All the>switch does is allow FS to use more memory than the 2GB>process limit of a 32 bit OS allows. You'll want to use>USERVE=2560 to allow room for your GPU to operate without>issue. It will also be necessary to edit the FS9.exe to allow>it to use more than 2GB. You'll need a program like CFF>explorer to do that. Do a search here in the forum for OOM,>3GB switch, and/or CTD. There are a large number of threads>here on this topic.>You can use up to a total of 4GB of RAM with XP or VISTA as>both are 32 bit operating systems though, it won't see or use>all of it. That total includes the memory on your GPU. So>with a 512MB GPU, windows will see around 3.5GB of your RAM. >Incidentally, regarding VISTA 64, there are a few FS add-ons>that won't work with it. Most of the newer Dreamfleet>aircraft and the 16 bit Garmins from Reality XP come to mind. > >I hope this helps you.>>Best Regards,>JeffThanks Jeff,I tried the 3GB switch with userva=2560. It seemed to work for FSX, but it causes problems with other programs. I have a post over at the Digital Aviation Support forum, but if I don't get any help there, I'll give the /3GB another shot.Dale

Dale

Guest D17S

Moving to a 64bit op system is the only real answer. Vista 64 works fine.

>Moving to a 64bit op system is the only real answer. Vista 64>works fine. Yes, I also believe this is the only real solution.

Thanks for the suggestion, but switching to Vista 64 is a bit more than I want to do, just to run one aircraft in FSX. Sadly, I think I need to put the Cheyenne in it's hanger and move on to something else. DA hasn't answered my post in their forum, so I suspect they don't know how to solve the problem. I'll check back from time to time to see if they come up with an update.Dale

Dale

I have this Digital Aviation Cheyenne as well and never experienced the OOM problem. I had 2GB of memory and now I have 4GB of memory but I don't use the /3GB switch. I would think the Digital Aviation Cheyenne might have a memory leak.

I honestly don't even think or can believe it's aircraft's fault. 99% of all errors in FS are "scenery related to memory" caused.You could try in FSX.cfg same settings I posted from fs9.cfg. I think fsx has the same settings for terrain, or at least very similar...