Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

ATI 4870 STOMPS 4850

Guest JIMJAM

Well Aces are DONE with it and Nvidia has said its not a driver issue.I am new to ATI but I cannot blame them if they never devote resources to a "lets face it" old game.Its not just FSX but go to any gaming forum and you will see hundreds of post about various issues.Thats why I bought a PS3 as my platfrom for my FPS and racing games.FSX had my computers sole attention yet I never have been able to dial it in.I reloaded Crysis a few days ago after getting the 4870 and have been having a blast.Man I miss the mouse/keyboard targeting.Anyways, luckily at 1920x1050 FSX looks pretty good and place my faith not in MS or ATI/Nvidia but a third party to fix this problem.I am going to wait a while and see if the new ATI tools beta with 4 series support pans out.

>>Best GPU upgrade For me :) Value for money, amazing>performance and as a ex NVIDIA guy I prefer the visual quality>with ATI.>Rob> Hey Rob, how is it doing in FSX versus say an 8800GT? With the 747X? I'm on the fence cuz I have an op to upgrade but didn't want to take a hit in FSX.NoelQX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

>Its sounds like a driver installation issue. Going from an>Nvidia video card to an ATI video card I never take any>chances, I always reformat. I

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest djt01

>Wow. I've moved back n forth many times and retained excellent>performance and no other quirkiness without going to a new OS>installation. Never had any issues . . .That

Guest djt01

>No amount of fiddling will make AA and AF look spectacular on this >4870 in FSX.Spectacular no, decent yes, as proven from the above screens. As predicted months ago the ATI 4800 series is no better than the new GTX 200 series from Nvidia as far as FSX is concerned.

Guest djt01

>I do not think a os reinstall is going to make a difference.So if a clean up to date properly installed OS vs. a botched OS is not the difference then how do you explain the fact that I

>That

Noel

>>So much is opinion versus truth.That was a hard earned (and expensive!) lesson I've learned here in the past several months.However, there is something in FSX that is hanging these people up in FSX who are getting AA and AF problems, and I'm out of ideas. It seems ground blurries will be with us forever, I've been told a limitation of the engine. I get blurries on occasion but nothing compared to what I got whit my old 6700 CPU.For me, this card is incredible. My nVidia 8800 GTX was a compromise in that it's picture quality was lower than than a 2870x2 OC but it's frames in heavy clouds were better. Well, it seems to me that if your GPU doesn't "need" to render superior picture quality then of course you can squeeze better frame rates out it. But, dag I've always been frustrated with the squiggly lines, nHancer vs. nVidia vs. "which drivers do I use" crapola, and, yes the blurrieness.I went directly from nVidia to this ATI card in less than 10 minutes (for about the 30th time this year, no exaggeration) using the latest 8.8 CCC manager by performing the proper steps in the proper order, with no forcing or premature button pushing and without a hard drive wipe and OS or FS re-install and it's giving me both excellent frame rates and a beautiful sharp picture across 3 screens (see my specs below). I am very happy -- finally. YMMV.

When you start flying FSX, pause it, press ctrl-alt-delete. Is MOM.exe and CCC.exe running?

>So if a clean up to date properly installed OS vs. a botched>OS is not the difference then how do you explain the fact that>I

Noel

I'm just about there Chuck. I'm right now wondering if the X2 version will do better with different drivers. As long as I'm going for an upgrade, if the X2 can handle FSX at least as good as the X1, I might just splurge, for the other games I use . . .QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel