Sign in to follow this  
odai

Which CPU for FSX?

hello, I'm looking for a new CPU to run FSX (I'm using SP1 and SP2). My current E6600 doesn't exactly produce the best results. I'm considering either the Intel E8600, or the Q9400. Which do you think would perform the best in FSX? I may go into some modest overclocking if I have to. I have 2GB of Corsair DDR2 1066 memory and an 8800 Ultra graphics card (for what it's worth). I'm running Vista home premium 32. I have the latest drivers. I'm a massive aviation fan and wish to run FSX at the highest possible settings. I'm considering purchasing detailed scenery and aircraft addons, such as mega airport Heathrow X, the PMDG 747 etc. I am currently running mytraffic X, which is a major performance eater. Thanks in advance! EDIT: Sorry about the double post! I think I may be clicked the post button twice.

To some extent the choice depends on how you measure your enjoyment of FSX. If you like flat out FPS performance, a dual core is a good choice as you are likely to get a better overclock. If you like smoothness and sharp scenery, the quad core is subjectively a good choice.I've been running a Q6600 and am blissfully happy with the improvements it made especially to my VFR flying. AI traffic is always going to present a performance challenge, but MyTraffic X is one of the better choices performance-wise as it is has a variety of FSX authored models.Simon

The e8600 out of the box is the one for FSX if you want a quick setup for fastest results. Quads are fine too, I use one :)They need 3rd party coolers and overclocking for best results.CPU speed is key for FSX, 3GHZ or more.Before you spend the $$$ try and overclock your e6600, it should hit 3GHz, (333x9) with a decent cooler.Even running FSX at 4GHz you will still see frame rates under 20 often, so dont expect too much ...

hello,Thanks for your advice!!Does anyone know where I can find any articles on dual core vs quad core performance in fsx? It's incredible how, despite FSX being massively cpu-bound, there are hardly any reviews out there.

hello,Thanks for your advice!!Does anyone know where I can find any articles on dual core vs quad core performance in fsx? It's incredible how, despite FSX being massively cpu-bound, there are hardly any reviews out there.

There are reviews of quad core versus dual in this very forum, including one from me.Here's an external one: http://www.behardware.com/articles/657-6/a...on-64-6000.htmlThe short answer is that FPS is roughly the same between a dual and quad core of the same clock speed. The benefit a quad offers over a dual is faster texture loading and caching, which can help scenery keep up when fast and low, but it is very hard to quantify the exact benefit.That's why people here suggest going for a dual core over a quad if not overclocking, as for the same price point dual cores are clocked noticable higher and hence notably improve FPS. Overclocking levels the playing field somewhat, but dual core CPUs still clock that little bit higher on average due to having less heat to dissipate.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

hello,Yes, I found your thread yesterday. I found it incredibly helpful, thanks man!!! However, I have one problem. I can't seem to find any actual numbers from your tests, only files to run the benchmark you did.

You need to scroll down to post # 77 here at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...pe=search#32194 to find the table of results. Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

hello,After having read that awesomely useful thread, I can see that a quad core brings no benefits, except for a reduction in texture loading times etc, resulting in less blurries. Out of interest, how big are these gains? I know it's difficult to measure, but are the reductions in blurries worth it? BTW, would 4GB of ram vs 2GB of RAM achieve the same thing?

I had a dual core for a year before I replaced it with a quad and I didn't see any noticable reduction in blurries. In fact, I was quite underwhelmed by the whole 'more cores than I really need' experience.In the testing that I did, the dual core was certainly maxed out more often than a quad core in pre-loading textures but it never got close to getting behind on the job (well, not at 250kts over a detailed city anyway).Having said that, others in this forum say the blurry reduction improvement from such a change has been very noticable. Who to believe? :-)Re 2GB vs 4GB, there won't be much of a difference with blurry reduction but stuttering could be reduced if FSX + addons was regularly pushing the 2GB memory boundary before.Gary