Hi,a few weeks ago my CRT monitor somekind of exploded. Well, at first a nice widescreen LCD seemed a welcome replacement. Now, after 2 weeks of using my new Samsung Syncmaster i still have trouble to get used to it. I mean, specially night flying isn't what it was before. Where black was black on a CRT, on a LCD it's kinda very dark grey, the pixels never get black completely. I've set the gamma in Catalyst to about the lowest value 0.55 and on the monitor itself a brightness of 0. Did i miss something in setting up this monitor properly or is it a LCD thing? Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

I miss some things about my CRT, too. :)95% of LCD's don't do black very well.I don't know which specific Samsung Syncmaster you have, but LCD's are made with various film types (such as TN film) and they are not all the same. Some of them deliver better angled vision, but have drawbacks on performance--yet other film types deliver great performance but are not so good on angled viewing.My best advice is to play with the monitor's settings, and Catalyst settings as you are doing. You might also look into some of those kaliediscope (sp?) type chronometers they have for LCD's. Perhaps they would help with the black color.There are others in this forum that know a lot about LCD screens, hopefully they will chime in here.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

I had a BIG sony flatscreen CRT for years. Payed a fortune for it back then.It sat in my closet for years collecting dust and I could not give it away.Some considered it a museum piece.I eventually dumped it on my freid who own a computer store so maybe the tech guys in the back could use it.Come to find out its going for over $500 on Ebay.Seems its super fast and some 1st person gamers and flight simmers prefer it over the new lcds.Cant think of its name off hand.I am much to spoiled on my 32 inch Sharp Aquos at 1920x1050 to ever consider a crt and besides, I almost needed a crane to lift the 27 crt I had and put it a borrowed truck.

Guest triangle

LCD panels cannot do true black and that is an unfortunate limitation on non-CRT technology. I get the same issues as you and have had several different Samsung Syncmasters ... never found a solution.Andrew

Guest ziporama

LCD contrast is what you're looking for. The high end LCDs have excellent contrast ratio (ability to display very dark to very bright ratio), and even then, most have problems with corners or mid-points on the edges due to the manufacturing technology ("boning").Getting a very dark pixel is very hard to do with LCD technology because crystals are not entirely opaque, especially if you want to keep the refresh rate up (avoids ghosting on fast moving objects).OLEDs in that way are much better, but outside of plasma, nothing gets close to CRT color reproduction or contrast. This said, you can get much bigger sizes with LCDs than CRTs these days, and there isn't really any new affordable technology out there to reproduce what you could do with CRTs - outside of size. Time will come however.Etienne

Hi Gerrit,I too have a SyncMaster, the 226BW (22"), and regard it as being a superb example of its type.The problem with the poor representation of black is well known of course. However, there is a kind of a workaround - do all your night flying during the daytime when the ambient lighting in the room is brighter. I am looking at my desktop which has an image of the deep sky at night with stars and galaxies. The blackness of space looks great! This is less convincing at night with the lights out.I calibrated my monitor using the Spyder2express 2.2 - excellent tool and should last you for many years.Regards,Mike

Gerrit- I'm using both LCD & CRTs. (Acer 17" LCD & 8 yr old 19" KDS CRTs) I can't really distinguish between the types. Here's a couple of pics for comparison- a screenie & a digital shot. While nominal resolution is only 1024x768, in reality my eyes see 3072x768!! Not bad for a 5 yr old system.Alex Reid Lining up for KSFO R28R (AMD 1.8 & 2 GeForceFX5200 GPUs)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191890.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191891.jpg

Thanks Mike, That's exactly the model i have :) A superb example of its type, is this positive or negative? :) The purchase was a quick decision because of the many happy customer reviews and its price. A good idea about the calibration hardware, however at this moment i thrust my (not too young) eyes and the calibration software that came with the monitor.So my Magicbright Custom setting is exclusively for FSX nightflying. And indeed i should nightfly during daytime ambient light. I'll have to change my habits ;)Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

Thanks all, for the help and the technical insight into LCD's. A few months from now and i will have forgotten about the screen image of a CRT. But it will be difficult. Besides the blacks i still remember the looks of a PMDG 747 in FSX, the detailed bumpmapping and specular reflection on a CRT and what's left of it on LCD. The difference is like the cover of a 'glossy' magazine, printed on high quality plastified paper (CRT) and the same cover printed on normal 'matte' paper (LCD). The FSX image was more photoreal on CRT and on LCD its more cartoonish. I've got my desktop now very much like it was on CRT, so when i keep tinkering with it will end up the same in 3D eventually, i hope.I'm also quite happy with LCD. The weight and it doesn't make this awefull noise when it is switched on. The picture is always the same, doesn't resize when it heatens up, no more trapezium or curved edges or off-sync RGB in the corners :) Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg