Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

maximum stock cooled o/c on q6600

Hi AllI have just started to experiment with over clocking.I have managed to go up to stable 3.24 with the stock cooler,any higher vista is still stable, but when fsx is started the system crashes after about 10 minutes into a flight-less with pmdg 747X.I am wondering what is the highest o/c speed that fellow simmers have managed to get with stock cooler on the q6600.I have read on the forum people getting as high as 3.6-is this possible.Please suggest a good cooler to get the 3.6.I have the msi p35 neo fsb 1333 mother board,4 gig corsair ram 750 watts corsair power supply.Many thanks.Qas

I run at FSB 385, around 3.5 Ghz at 1.32 Vcore. With my Artic cooler Pro 7, my core0 temp peaks at 73 under FSX, but is mostly around 70. I absolutely would not want it to any higher than that.To overclock more, I would need more Vcore and a much better cooler. Beware of the big heavy coolers. Last time I tried to fit a 700g it broke the motherboard, so much care is required. Next time around, I'll go water.

Guest triangle

Sam (D17S username I think) has had good experiences with a Q6600 .. perhaps flick him a PM if he doesn't see your post .. he is always very helpful.Andrew

Guest D17S

True story. The Q6600 will go to 3.6 at ~ 1.45 volts Vcore. Get this cooler (+ a 120mm fan) and you'll be all set. http://www.crazypc.com/products/ultra-120_extreme-50983.htmlAll P35 mobos are rated to 400Mhz / FSB. Ram must be rated at DDR2-800. I would suggest you leave speed step enabled. This will run the CPU at 2.4 (400x6) for emailing, but autoramp to 3.6 (400x9) under load. Also use Vista's sleep and never shut the box off. Save a tree. From what I'm hearing about from Nehalam, this little $180 CPU is gonna stay within 10% of anything . . . all the way through this next cycle. We'll see. I'm thinking it's still the smart choice. Wait for Sandybridge.

Thanks everyone-I am keen on the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink-my only concern is it's weight,will my msi 35i neo2 board be able to support it.Space will be no problem as I have a large case.On the thermalteke web they say I will need some sort of metal bracket to support the cooler-I take it they will supply it too.The other question that comes to mind is will the extra 0.4 increasein the cpu make a big difference to fsx????? Qas

Guest D17S

Structurally, it'll be fine. Just don't haul it around to LAN parties. The mobo has to come completely out. The bracket is a simply screw plate (to which the cooler attaches) that sits on the reverse side of the mobo. Install the cooler and reinstall the mobo. It makes a great handle as the mobo is going back in.The increase in FPS will be 1:1 with a CPU's - Single core - clock speed. You can do that math. The other 3 cores will help scenery loading (the fuzzies). Makes a big difference, but this improvement cannot be defined in numbers.