Sign in to follow this  
Guest mikeyhd

Thrustmaster Cougar or Saitek X52 Pro?

Guest mikeyhd

Pricewise it's about the same based on the stock cougar. Saitek look to have regular update while the cougar did not have any update for XP since 2004 (both for drivers or foxy software). It seems based on some review it's more precise than the X52.On the others side, it appears that the cougar has some hardcore fan, and with some modding it can get over the $1000 range.But I haven seen a bad review on the X52 pro either.any opinions on which one I should get? I'm not a hardcore gamer, more like the casual gamer. Thanks

Guest tcable

I have one of the first batch of Cougars. Love it. There's nothing like the feel of cast metal in your hands :)Progamibility is incredible. Foxy makes it so you can do almost anything with any button or axis.I highly recommend it. The Saitek feels cheap in comparison. I know that my Cougar is fine under XP or now Vista x64.Tim

>I have one of the first batch of Cougars. Love it. There's>nothing like the feel of cast metal in your hands :)>>Progamibility is incredible. Foxy makes it so you can do>almost anything with any button or axis.>>I highly recommend it. The Saitek feels cheap in comparison. >>I know that my Cougar is fine under XP or now Vista x64.>>TimI have to agree with Tim. The Saitek does feel cheap in comparison to the stock Cougar. I have owned just about every joystick made and no other joystick that I've owned in a comparable price range can compete with the stock Cougar. I knew when I purchased this hotas set I would have it for a long time. It has been my best flight sim hardware purchase to date.I am on of those "hard core" Cougar fans that have put in an Ian Johnson modded gimbal set along with hall effect sensor kits in both the throttle and stick (kits provided by Ernie "CubPilot" Smith). The stick with the mods is over five years old and performs (which is nothing short of amazing. It's absolute precision.) just as it did when the mods were installed five years ago.My Cougar performs flawlessly under XP32, Vista32, and Vista64.

Guest tcable

Can you still get the hall effect kits? I'm running on the old pots and would like the upgrade. I had a pot in the throttle die on me once (warranty replacement on the pot)

Guest mikeyhd

I went to the local store and pickup the X52 Pro, and after inserting a pastic card and a rubber washer, the precision is pretty good, now there is firm feeeling in the stick.yes, the X52 is plastic, but it has MFD and nice color button which you can customize. knowing myself, I would say I love gadget stuff.Maybe I tried the cougar, the only problem is the shipping (I cant get at a local store) and restocking charge (if I don't like it)

>Can you still get the hall effect kits? I'm running on the>old pots and would like the upgrade. I had a pot in the>throttle die on me once (warranty replacement on the pot).They are still available from Ernie as far as I understand. Here is a link to Ernie's website: http://www.cubpilotshangar.net/I still have my original pots boxed up. If you are in need of them until you get hall kits send me a PM I would be more than happy to get them into your hands.