Sign in to follow this  
jfri

E7200 or E8400 or Q6600 for FSX

When building a new system I'm considering one of these three CPUs.I would like to know a little bit more detailed what and how would performence differ in FSX between these alternatives. I intend to use the stock cooler and a 9800GT videocard and 4 Gb 800 MHz RAM on a P35 mb. Also a Corsair HX520W modular PSU has already been purchased.E7200 is significantly cheaper than the other two. Is E8400 going to give me significantly better performence? How will Q6600 perform compared to E8400 with the stock cooler i.e no or cautious overclocking?From what I have understood it would be very bad to save money byRunning FSX without VISTA 64 since it's a 64 bit OSRunning VISTA 64 with only 2 Gb instead of 4 GbHere are links to my considered purchase cardshttp://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Cart=709-45191 http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Cart=235-45000http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Cart=353-45002I must buy the system on credit so keeping the cost down is imperative.

The E8400 will give you the highest performance of the lot at stock speed. It would give roughly 15-20% more FPS in FSX than the other two processors.If you decide to overclock with that stock cooler, you are better off staying with dual core as quad cores really heat up when pushed by overclocking. Word on the street is that the E7200 and E8400 both overclock to about the same level (around 3.8GHz), but your stock cooler will likely hold you back at these high core speeds. At the same overclock clock speed, the E7200 would be around 5% slower due to the smaller cache it has.Consider putting some of the savings you would make on selecting the E7200 and buy a mid-range cooler like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro that I have. This cooler would easily dissipate the heat of a dual core 3.8GHz overclock and is even sufficient for a quad core overclock up to about 3.6GHz max.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

>The E8400 will give you the highest performance of the lot at>stock speed. It would give roughly 15-20% more FPS in FSX than>the other two processors.>So it might be something like 17 fps instead of 20 fps? More important is how smooth and stutterfree it is.>If you decide to overclock with that stock cooler, you are>better off staying with dual core as quad cores really heat up>when pushed by overclocking. Word on the street is that the>E7200 and E8400 both overclock to about the same level (around>3.8GHz), but your stock cooler will likely hold you back at>these high core speeds. At the same overclock clock speed, the>E7200 would be around 5% slower due to the smaller cache it>has.>What are you bases for the cache size make a 5% difference?>Consider putting some of the savings you would make on>selecting the E7200 and buy a mid-range cooler like the Arctic>Cooling Freezer 7 Pro that I have. This cooler would easily>dissipate the heat of a dual core 3.8GHz overclock and is even>sufficient for a quad core overclock up to about 3.6GHz max.>Sound like an interesting cooler since it's so cheap. If I get a cooler it will propably be this one.

>So it might be something like 17 fps instead of 20 fps? More>important is how smooth and stutterfree it is.IMO, smoothness and stutterfreeness (is that a word? :-lol) are slightly in favour of the quad, but only very slightly.>What are you bases for the cache size make a 5% difference?What? You want a reputable reference? :-lol Whilst I have nothing specific I can point to right now, this was a common assessment of the worst-case performance difference between two early-gen C2Ds with different cache sizes (eg. E6400 vs E6600). I have just shamelessly extrapolated these results. Take it as a worst case hit.>Sound like an interesting cooler since it's so cheap. If I get>a cooler it will propably be this one.Should set you back $25-30 max.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11