Sign in to follow this  
DescendDescend

4870x2 and GTX8800 comparison

Guest UlfB

>Bam-Shazaam- Ok you got 10 more FPS!>Whatcha going to do?>Thats right.....>Move a slider a little higher....>Raise that res and those clouds just a little.>Need a few more cars,some trees and a just a tinnie tiny bit>of airline ai.>Crap:-( Now I am only getting 15 fps.>Hmmmmmmm->>Need to find a new card,faster machine,more ram........>Repeat till broke,skip 4 years.>Exactly,I've been running FSX with the sliders at the same position for a long time. I have a couple of saved configs: One for VFR flying over less rural areas and one for IFR flying over urban areas. No problem with fps.The only time I change these settings is when I want to confirm that some guy's advice on a tweak really doesn't work.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

That is very true, but alternatively:1)Upgrade machine.2)What settings are the minimum I need for FSX to look good to me?3)Oh dear, my machine will only do 7-11 fps. 3)Upgrade machine.4)13-20 fps. That's much better.5)What does that nice new card do..........

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

After going through a lot of frustration with cloud issues on the 3870 the 4870 has cured my problems, max AA and AF with Edge detect and no Stutters in heavy weather. One thing to note, I had been on the 8.7 drivers and tried the 8.8 last night and it could be in my head but I am goin to revert back to the 8.7.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest JIMJAM

Please tell us "all" your Catalyst settings and how you got aa/af to work.Adaptive aa on fff/aa filter settings,Catalyst settings ect ect.What is your procedure forsaving/activating a profile.ALOT of us cannot get aa/af.From best I can tell, FSX is running the aa/af and does what it wants.I can make changes,acvtivate profiles,try to force it on and turn it off in game,does not matter.I get some but again, I think the catalyst settings do little if anything.Are you sp1,sp2 Accel? XP Vista?

>This is scary...I ordered my BFG 8800GTX in january 2007.>Since then, neither nVIDIA or ATI have been able to produce a>card that's faster in FSX, with the exception of the 8800>Ultra.True.Another recent FSX benchmark shows 8800 series performing better than GTX 280 and 3870 X2!chart_51_msflightx_sp2_1920_aa.pngCheck here:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...on,2007-18.html

>>Another recent FSX benchmark shows 8800 series performing>better than GTX 280 and 3870 X2!That should surprise no one, regarding the 3870x2.In FSX, a 3870x2 gives nice image quality (in my opinion) but it cannot match the 8800GTX in terms of performance.The GTX280 is another matter. A person would like to think that a GTX280 or ATI 4-series could outperform a card that is 1.5 years old in our sim!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>The 8800 GTX>which uses a less powerful GPU and has a slightly less memory>does not perform better than the GTX 280 in FSX.>This is what the video card industry would like us to believe...;-)

Guest djt01

>This is what the video card industry would like us to>believe...The video card industry doesn

I would like to believe that 280 GTX performs better in FSX than 8800 GTX if someone shows an experimental proof - benchmark - that can support this statement.

Guest djt01

>I would like to believe that 280 GTX performs better in FSX>than 8800 GTX if someone shows an experimental proof ->benchmark - that can support this statement.It

Guest UlfB

>>I would like to believe that 280 GTX performs better in FSX>>than 8800 GTX if someone shows an experimental proof ->>benchmark - that can support this statement.>>>It

Guest djt01

>It seems to come down on whom to trust, doesn't it? djt01 or>Guru3D or somebody else? Too many experts with to many>advice.Who to trust?, LOL, yeah I

Guest UlfB

> >Buy it and see for yourself. >Nope, I'm happy with my 88. Will build a new pc during the winter and maybe I get myself a new card then.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest djt01

>Nope, I'm happy with my 88. Will build a new pc during the>winter and maybe I get myself a new card then.I was happy with my 8800 Ultra also, I