Sign in to follow this  
Guest saturno_v

These Laptops are OK for Flight Simulator??..need advice from experts...thanks!!

Guest saturno_v

Hello guysFriday, my trusted notebook (a Dell Inspiron 8200) of almost 6 years decided to quit on me...the motherboard is gone and is not worth the repair cost.After careful tweaking, I was able to decently run FS2004 with medium-high settings and add-ons during the years. For professional reasons, I need a laptop and I do not want to buy a separate desktop just to run Flight Simulator.I spent the last 3 days looking for a replacement, comparing prices, performance, customer satisfaction etc...I think I reached a short list of 3 laptops (all of them Gateway) that are within my budget and, in my opinion, the best compromise between price and performance.I would like to know from the hardware gurus end experts on this forum, which one of the 3 would be the best to run FSX (which I still do not own) or at least FS2004 at full settings.I'm open to other suggestions regarding other models within my budget ($1600-1700 max).Again, I do not want to buy a desktop just for FS nor I can afford to pay 5-6 grand for a hyper notebook...if I can run the game decently with a laptop within my budget is all good, otherwise I will give up on Flight Simulator.In particular way for FSX, once I still have to buy it, please let me know if with one of these computers I should not even bother....I'n not interested in slide shows and I do not want to waste 70 dollars for a game I cannot use.These are the 3 notebooks (from the least expensive to the priciest).1) Gateway P-7811 FXIntel Core Duo P8400 (2.26 GHz)1066 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache4 GB RAM DDR3 Dual Channel 800 MHzNVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS 512 MB VRAM on board200 GB SATA HD 7200 rpm2) Gateway P-173X FFIntel Core Duo T7500 (2.20 GHz)800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2 Cache4 GB RAM DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHzNVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB VRAM on board200 GB SATA HD 7200 rmp3) Gateway P-173XL FXIntel Core Duo T8300 (2.40 GHz)800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache4 GB RAM DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHzNVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB VRAM on board400 GB SATA HD 7200 rmp (Raid 0 2 X 200)All of them have a 17 inches monitor...I do not care much about that, when I'm at home or in my office I use a big external monitor....Which is the better, even if slightly better???For any other needs I have, all of them are more than plenty, they all have web cam, fingerprint security, bluetooth, wireless, DVD Dual Layer burner, high resoluton, surround sound support, etc...Someone told me that the best could be the number 1....even if it has a slower processor compared to the number 3, it has a faster FSB, a faster memory and a slightly more powerful video card, the GeForce 9800M GTS instead of the GeForce 8800M GTS.The 9800M GTS has a 600 MHz core speed versus 500 for the 8800M GTS and the shader speed is 1500 MHz versus 1250 MHz.The laptop number 2 has the biggest L2 Cache.The #3 has the faster CPU (not too much difference anyway) but I suspect is the most expensive just because of the extra 200 GB HD...I do not really need 400 GB.Which one would you take?? What kind of performance can I expect with FSX (and with what level of setting) or FS2004 maxed out???Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions and comments!!!Regards

When we're talking about FSX, one always wants the fastest processor available.I don't even know if that most expensive one you list will give you the performance you seek. But if that's your limit I'd go for that one, or get the cheapest one and stick with FS9.Even an E8500 (3.16 Ghz stock) isn't going run FSX all that well with addons and high settings etc. Most guys here overclock their systems to run anywhere from 3.5ghz - 4.0ghz and higher.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest The Captain

My Dell XPS 1710 runs FS9 with FR in the 40s & FSX quite well with most sliders to the right with no ground stuff. As it's so smooth I run FS9 all the time now with added Silverwings. My specs below:1) Dell Dimension 9150, P4 3.4GHz, 2GB Ram, Gforce 7900 GS. 20" Dell widescreen.2) Dell 17" XPS M1710, 2 Intel core CPU T7400, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, Gforce 7900 GTX.Hope this helps?!Terry.

Check out Killer notebooks. I have a high end one from him but I believe he may have some older stock of slightly earlier generation that will run fsx quite well. After sales service is superb.email- sales@killernotebooks.comHe incorperates custom cooling mods and other innovative features. I am very pleased with my laptop, the company and the owner, Mark.Dave